PDA

View Full Version : setup questions

Kingrsl
04-03-2007, 09:09 AM
I just checked out the article on Affordable Audio. It talks about how the Ascends should be angled in directly at the LP. Do most of you have yours setup that way? I thought it narrowed the soundstage a little to much. My room size doesn't allow me to have them very wide (about 7 feet apart from L&R) My LP is 12.5 feet away, btw. Also, they filled the front stands with sand in the review. Is this recommended for all setups or only if you have noticeable vibrations? The Ascends are the first quality set of speakers that I have owned so hearing small things like that are new to me. Just the sound quality of the speakers alone is a huge improvement over my last setup.

curtis
04-03-2007, 10:16 AM
It is all a guideline. Set-up for what works and sounds best for you.

As for the sand, I always think it is a good thing just to make them more stable and it is relatively inexpensive to do. If it helps sonically in your case, then that is an added bonus. The only negative is if/when you have to move them.

drewface
04-03-2007, 01:12 PM
i have my speakers slightly angled in, but not directly at the main LP. this is because i often am not sitting at the main LP, or i have multiple people listening at the same time. by having them more straight ahead than toed in, it seems to open up the area where the sound quality is at its best. you sacrifice the main LP quality ever so slightly, but i think it's worth it.

as for the sand, the comment curtis made about moving them is exactly why i haven't filled my stands yet ;) once i finish school and have a more permanent spot for them, i probably will fill them. they're quite sturdy on their own, though.

jvillas
04-05-2007, 09:53 PM
I just checked out the article on Affordable Audio. It talks about how the Ascends should be angled in directly at the LP. Do most of you have yours setup that way? I thought it narrowed the soundstage a little to much. My room size doesn't allow me to have them very wide (about 7 feet apart from L&R) My LP is 12.5 feet away, btw. Also, they filled the front stands with sand in the review. Is this recommended for all setups or only if you have noticeable vibrations? The Ascends are the first quality set of speakers that I have owned so hearing small things like that are new to me. Just the sound quality of the speakers alone is a huge improvement over my last setup.

It seems we have a similar room size, though I am using the 170's in a 2.1 set-up. My speakers are 7.5 feet apart, and my lp is 12.5ft. My 170's are on 30inch stands and are toed in about 2inches. Each speaker is about 20inches from the sidewalls. The toe in is one of those things I play with from time to time,to alter the image.or soundstage. I have some flexability with the distance between the speakers, thus the amount of toe in will change.

My speaker stands are not sand filled, but I fully intend to have this done. The vibration on the stand legs is to excessive for my taste,and is probably adding some coloation to the sound.