PDA

View Full Version : Best Sounding Loud Speaker Available

Gregisme
01-17-2004, 02:29 AM
Frankly, I avoid listening to really expensive loudspeakers. Better not to know what you're missing is my philosophy.. I wouldn't want to suffer from speaker envy.

Good question though.

bikeman
01-17-2004, 03:55 AM
Like Greg, I don't seek out the ultra high end stuff but I have a friend with a pair of Merlin's ($8,500) and those speakers will definitely invite you to take a seat and have a listen. If it gets better than the Merlin's, I don't even want to know.

X52
01-17-2004, 04:38 AM
bikeman,
I noticed it was your first post. Welcome! I see what you mean. It's like looking through S.I.'s swimsuit issue when your wife's overwiegh. It breeds uncontentment.

JH

ez-v
01-18-2004, 03:41 PM
The best setup I've ever expreienced was at SF Stereo in Mountain View.

Never one to be in the more expensive = better sound camp, I must admit that a pair of Dynaudio Evidence Temptations ($30,000/pr) in an acoustically treated room powered with a Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista kWP preamp ($12,000) and Tri-Vista kW 1000W monoblocks ($24,000/pr) setup and an SACD signal coming from a dcs Verdi SACD transport, Purcell upconverter, and Elgar Plus D/A converter ($34,000) sounded unbelievable! Soundstage, clarity, and most importantly, the reality of the sound is unmatched by anything I have heard before or since. Then again, a $100K stereo setup better sound pretty damn good!

However, it gives me great pleasure to know that my setup gives me 90% of the satisfaction as that setup for 2.5% of the price.

Victor

Bighitter
01-19-2004, 02:52 AM
Best I have personally ever heard was a pair of Wilson Watt Puppies (9's I believe) powered by the latest Mark Levinson gear. Talk about depth of sound stage and absolute ability for speakers to disappear. That was the last time I stepped foot in that store though for fear of being in debt to the store for the rest of my life.

Quinn
01-19-2004, 08:24 AM
Vandersteen 5As on Adcom equipment.

Ben_Wood
01-19-2004, 08:59 AM
I can tell you that it isn't ****! [xx(]