PDA

View Full Version : Ascends in Bookshelf

Droht
03-06-2007, 11:14 AM
I know this question comes up every so often, but I'm hoping to get some feedback from someone who actually has speakers set up this way. I am considering 170s for L&R and 340 for C. All would be in a built in entertainment center. Plenty of room behind and on sides, and I'd be able to move front edge of speaker out to edge of shelf. I've gotten some feedback that says this should be OK, but I can't quite convince myself that I should not go with sealed speakers because of the placement.

My sealed option would be three x-cs across the front. I've read all the reviews about the x series and Ascends. I'm sure I'll be happy with x-cs, but I am also reasonably sure that the Ascends are at least a little better. I guess it boils down to this: Will the better SQ with the Ascends be compromised by placement such that I really should not sweat the decision?

Other factors: Ascends cost more; 170s for L&R are smaller and work better in my set up; x-cs cabs are better looking; x-series will be offering many new products in the future for upgrades; Ascends apparently don't need that approach because they are so damn good in the first place! All of that is probably a wash to me. Back to placement question.

If anyone has any personal experience with this kind of set up I would hugely appreciate some feedback. Thanks much!

curtis
03-06-2007, 11:39 AM
The issue is the amount of work the port is doing because the sound coming from it would be reflected inside the shelf.

If crossed over to a sub at 80hz, the port is not doing much, and I don't think there would be much of issue. I think the restrictions the entertainment center puts on placement would be an issue as well.

Do you have a picture of the entertainment center?

Droht
03-06-2007, 12:01 PM
I assume I'd be crossing over at 80, as it seems that it is pretty much SOP. I'd likely go with an HSU VTF-2 MK 2 sub if I go with Ascends.

Entertainment center is not built yet. If I go with x-cs for L&R I need to tweak my plans to allow enough height for them. That being said, placement is pretty flexible at this point. Plan is for L&R with tweeters at ear level flanking a 50" plasma and center placed horizontally on shelf above. Shelf depth planned at 24", which leaves more than a foot behind all speakers.

curtis
03-06-2007, 12:45 PM
You already know it is not the most optimum, but as long as the front of the speakers are at least flush with the front of the bookshelf, IMO you will be fine.

Droht
03-06-2007, 01:06 PM
Yeah, I guess I am struggling with whether or not the difference in SQ will be relative given non-optimum placement, or if the extreme clarity and imaging that the Ascends are known for will be affected disproportionately. Not that big of a deal at the end of day, but this is the last gnawing question and the last purchase for my modest AV system. I may just be beating it to death a bit because I've enjoyed the soon-to-be-over process. Of course I can starting thinking about upgrades very soon..... :eek:

curtis
03-06-2007, 03:50 PM
Not that big of a deal at the end of day....
Sure it is! :) It is something that you hope brings with it some longevity, and you don't want any "what ifs" floating around.

Under different circumstances I would say you have to try both, but the configuration of your entertainment center seems to be dependent on the speakers you select.

Droht
03-06-2007, 05:57 PM
Under different circumstances I would say you have to try both, but the configuration of your entertainment center seems to be dependent on the speakers you select.

A head-to-head would be ideal. I may just end up getting the x-cs and building the unit to fit them. If they are not "good enough" I can always order the Ascends and compare them directly. Worst case is that I'd have a little extra "headroom" on that one shelf.

Thanks for the feedback Curtis. It is always a pleasure to correspond with you on these forums (fora?).

If anyone is using Ascends in a bookshelf setting please let me know how it is working out.

drewface
03-06-2007, 08:37 PM
Shelf depth planned at 24", which leaves more than a foot behind all speakers.i'm no expert on this, but i assume with that much room behind the speakers you could put some sound treatment at the back of the shelf to take care of the sound reflection and still have plenty of breathing room for the ports on the speakers.

maybe someone who knows more could give their opinion on this idea.