PDA

View Full Version : Just set up my 340's: volume concern

watsonusn
02-25-2007, 12:27 PM
hi,
I could be way off base here, im a complete newb to this. I set up my 340SE's last night, (LCR) to a Onkyo 604 receiver. I ran the auto setup. My center channel is much louder than the Left or Right. The left and right almost sound as if they are fading in & out, & are much lower than the center.
Currently the only source i have hooked up is my Comcast Motorola Cable box via optical. I realize that tv is primarily center channel (dialog), but i put it on some of the music channels in the 900ish channel area (not to be confused with MTV, FUSE, etc), and its still mostly all the center.
I dont have a dedicated cd player, the best i can do is either a PS3, Xbox 360, or a Onkyo 404 series dvd player.
So is this normal, the center being primary & the L/R being fillers?
Is it the simple fact that my source is the cable box?
Or am i completely off base?
Thanks,
-DW

drewface
02-25-2007, 12:42 PM
the center channel in my setup tends to sound significantly louder than the other speakers in my setup, even when i'm running a dedicated cd player through 7-channel stereo. it seems strange to me at times, but i think a big part of it is because the center channel gets a mix of both sides, so it's actually putting out more sound information than the right/left speakers.

i could be wrong on this, but overall my system sounds good, so i don't worry about it too much. maybe someone else can comment who has more knowledge on the subject

bikeman
02-25-2007, 12:51 PM
hi,
I could be way off base here, im a complete newb to this. I set up my 340SE's last night, (LCR) to a Onkyo 604 receiver. I ran the auto setup. My center channel is much louder than the Left or Right. The left and right almost sound as if they are fading in & out, & are much lower than the center.
Currently the only source i have hooked up is my Comcast Motorola Cable box via optical. I realize that tv is primarily center channel (dialog), but i put it on some of the music channels in the 900ish channel area (not to be confused with MTV, FUSE, etc), and its still mostly all the center.
I dont have a dedicated cd player, the best i can do is either a PS3, Xbox 360, or a Onkyo 404 series dvd player.
So is this normal, the center being primary & the L/R being fillers?
Is it the simple fact that my source is the cable box?
Or am i completely off base?Thanks,-DW
Auto set-up and correct set-up are not synonymous. Some auto set-ups work better than others but an spl meter and a DVD set-up disk are essentials with home theatre.

David

sensibull
02-25-2007, 02:52 PM
What mode was your receiver in? On my HK, both Dolby and Logic 7 tend to center tv sound, particularly if it is synthesizing dolby out of a stereo source.

watsonusn
02-25-2007, 10:35 PM
What mode was your receiver in? On my HK, both Dolby and Logic 7 tend to center tv sound, particularly if it is synthesizing dolby out of a stereo source.

It was in Dolby 5.1

debo
02-26-2007, 05:41 AM
If you don't have a spl meter go to radio shack and buy one, you won't regret the results. Your receiver should have test tones you can use to calibrate your speakers if you don't have a calibration DVD.

bikeman
02-26-2007, 07:07 AM
Remember that DVD calibration disks are available from Netflix and BB.

David

cyberbri
03-05-2007, 09:05 PM
On the channel 901+ music channels, they are in 2-channel stereo. Your receiver may default to Dolby Pro Logic II Movie or Music for this. Switch it back to 2-channel for these stations. They don't usually sound good matrixed into surround - at least for me most of the signal just comes through the center channel.

How do you have all your speakers set up?
Your center should be tilted up or down and aimed at the listening position, not aimed straight above your head or at your ankles (or into a table). Any auto-setup should be done with the mic facing forward and where your head is in the center listening position. That won't guarantee you'll get accurate results, but it should get you the best results possible with that auto-setup.

FibreKid
03-06-2007, 09:18 PM
I have the classic 340s across the front driven with a Denon AVR 3805. When I play music CDs that aren't mixed for 5.1 the center channel does most of the work. (read this as much louder) I switch the AVR to 2 channel and everything if fine.

good luck
-john

watsonusn
03-08-2007, 09:18 PM
Its mostly my fault for being such a noob, this is my first receiver, & first set of quality speakers. The only other set ive ever had was the 1999 sony "dream system", with the huge ugly floorstanders.
The speakers arent ideally positioned yet, a friend of mine is building some stands for me, so im waiting on those. But the center channel is at approximately 24" off the ground. I think ear height is 32", but i cant remember. So i should probably tilt it up a smidge with some doorstops or acoustic wedges eh?
It doesnt sound bad, it just doesnt sound right yet. The most irritating thing is watching HD cable shows, the receiver swaps modes for the commercials. Ironically, the commercials are now quieter than the shows.
Is it unusual to not like the way dolby digital sounds? It seems a bit, muffled.

bikeman
03-09-2007, 03:48 AM
Ironically, the commercials are now quieter than the shows.

That's a "feature" that I'd pay extra for.

Is it unusual to not like the way dolby digital sounds? It seems a bit, muffled.
Lots of variables if you're referring to a broadcast signal. I've had some issues with DD from PBS. I'm guessing it's the sound engineering, not the DD itself.

David

debo
03-09-2007, 05:20 AM
Yes I would recommend tilting your center so the tweeter is smacking you in the face. I have cut the thicker mouse pads into strips to tilt the speaker.
DD has always been a few db's lower the pro logic.
HD TV audio is a mess and will be until everything is broadcast in the same format.

cyberbri
03-09-2007, 09:12 AM
DD on TV is like DD on DVDs, you have to turn it up because the dialog is low but there is more dynamic range because of it - I usually watch (Lost, Heroes, 24, etc.) at about -15 to -10. Same with the music concert shows on PBS and INHD.