PDA

View Full Version : 340SE: Minimum distance from a corner?

watsonusn
02-23-2007, 09:45 PM
Im trying to put together my living room & i need to know how close the 340 can be to a corner sidewall. Is there a minimum?

bikeman
02-24-2007, 04:10 AM
Im trying to put together my living room & i need to know how close the 340 can be to a corner sidewall. Is there a minimum?
With all ported speakers there's a minimum. I had the 340's corner loaded in my study awhile back and six inches was adaquet. I'd drop Ascend an email and get a definitive answer and post back.

David

Gov
02-24-2007, 06:33 AM
I also have my 340's near the corner of my room as well. If don't run your speakers full range, it will be fine. I find that the ports do NOT get that much of a workout with "small" and 80hz XO. You have to get to some high SPL's for them to see much action. A few inches is plenty.

nguay
03-12-2007, 05:14 PM
I have mine in corners as well. My only problem is that the lower frequencies are boomy, but I'm sure this is with most speakers. I'm looking into room treatments to hopefully clean/tighten it up.

bikeman
03-12-2007, 06:27 PM
I have mine in corners as well. My only problem is that the lower frequencies are boomy, but I'm sure this is with most speakers.
No, this is not normal. How close to each wall are you?

David

nguay
03-12-2007, 06:34 PM
They're about a foot from the wall in the rear and about 17 inches on the side. One of them is the corner of the room and the other corner is where there is a fireplace.

drewface
03-12-2007, 06:43 PM
They're about a foot from the wall in the rear and about 17 inches on the side. One of them is the corner of the room and the other corner is where there is a fireplace.that should be more than enough space for them to not be boomy... do you have the bass turned way up? my speakers have about the same distance from the walls as yours, and they aren't boomy at all...

nguay
03-12-2007, 07:00 PM
Bass isn't turned up. I'm using my Toshiba HD-A1 to play cds and it's connected to my Pio 1015 through multichannel in for 2 channel audio. It seems like the one in the corner of the room may be the worse of the two. There are glass doors about 3 feet or so from the corner also. I usually have the blinds closed when listening to music or watching a movie. I'm not sure what it is.

curtis
03-12-2007, 07:39 PM
The one speaker that is 17" from the side, and 12" from the rear to the wall, is probably is probably getting a fair "bass boost".

drewface
03-12-2007, 08:08 PM
yeh, being in a corner is going to enhance the bass some, but i don't think it should be "boomy". one of my speakers is in a corner, and it definitely gets more bass out of it than the one on the other side of the room (which is next to a closet with the doors removed, so it's almost a corner). i enjoy the slight boost in the bass since i don't have a sub (which is probably a good thing since i'm in a college apartment). it's not boomy by any means, though.

i'd say just play around with the settings some on the receiver and see if you can make it chill out a little...

nguay
03-12-2007, 09:03 PM
yeh, being in a corner is going to enhance the bass some, but i don't think it should be "boomy". one of my speakers is in a corner, and it definitely gets more bass out of it than the one on the other side of the room (which is next to a closet with the doors removed, so it's almost a corner). i enjoy the slight boost in the bass since i don't have a sub (which is probably a good thing since i'm in a college apartment). it's not boomy by any means, though.

i'd say just play around with the settings some on the receiver and see if you can make it chill out a little...

Yeah, it's corner loaded. I wouldn't mind, but it sounds unnatural and with it being more on one side that the other it's distracting. I'm going to try room treatments and see if that doesn't clean it up.

drewface
03-12-2007, 09:42 PM
sounds good. let us know what you end up concluding to be the problem.

Grayson73
03-14-2007, 11:38 AM
Nguay and Drewface, are you running the speakers full range or are they crossed over? If crossed over, at what freq?

drewface
03-14-2007, 02:43 PM
Nguay and Drewface, are you running the speakers full range or are they crossed over? If crossed over, at what freq?i currently don't own a sub, so i am running mine full range.

nguay
03-14-2007, 06:43 PM
Nguay and Drewface, are you running the speakers full range or are they crossed over? If crossed over, at what freq?

I have mine crossed over at 80hz

nguay
04-04-2007, 10:15 AM
I've started adding some room treatments. The first thing I added was GIK 244 traps behind the front left and right channels. That seems to have cleaned it up a lot already. The bass seems much tighter and even.

I've got some treatments for the rear wall which haven't gone up yet and some corner treatments to add as well for the back corners. It should be interesting to see how much more these additions help.

This is my first experience with room treatments but so far I'm really impressed.