PDA

View Full Version : Surround channel height?

Kingrsl
01-23-2007, 08:51 AM
What height do most of you like your rear surrounds to be? I've read all sorts of variations....... level with the ear..........2-3 feet above.......facing towards the LP......facing front........facing rear. I'm going to be installing the 170's using omnimounts on the wall which is about 1 foot behind the couch. Due to the layout of the room (a fireplace in one corner), I can't put both of the surrounds on opposite walls facing in.

curtis
01-23-2007, 10:53 AM
This should help:
http://dolbylabs.com/consumer/home_entertainment/roomlayout.html

drewface
01-23-2007, 03:30 PM
what if the only room you have for surround speakers is right above a door frame, making the speaker close to the ceiling? would it be better just to not hook up surround speakers in this case at all?

also, can the 170s be set up on their sides without worrying about damaging the speaker? i know they are fine upside down, but i'm unsure about on their side...

thanks.

Lou-the-dog
01-23-2007, 04:25 PM
The tweeters on my 170's are about 24" above ear level. My surround placement in my room is not ideal as the right 170 is only about a foot behind my listening postion. I ended up aiming the speakers down about 15 degrees and angled in toward the room slightly.

Randy

drewface
01-24-2007, 04:54 PM
also, can the 170s be set up on their sides without worrying about damaging the speaker? i know they are fine upside down, but i'm unsure about on their side...anyone?

curtis
01-24-2007, 05:18 PM
on their sides should not be a problem....

drewface
01-24-2007, 08:59 PM
thanks! think i'm gonna try it out and see how it sounds

Kingrsl
01-24-2007, 09:57 PM
I installed my 170s with the tweeters about 2 feet above my ears when sitting. It sounds great so far! Thanks for the tips everyone.

BGHD
01-25-2007, 07:31 PM
Tweeters are about 2 ft above listening position. As a mixed MC music and HT setup, they are directly L/R of listening position, facing each other tilted down slightly toward listening position. If it were a purely MC setup I would've mounted at ear height pointed directly toward LP. If purely HT setup, would probably not tilt them down to LP for more diffuse surround action. I came up with my setup mainly from discussions with Ascend, their setup guide, Dolby.com and Audioholics.com. Not sure if it's the best, but works for me and my room.

drewface
01-26-2007, 10:40 AM
good deal.

because of the way my room at school is set up, the right surround speaker is going to have to be mounted above my door frame, which is probably about 4 feet above LP, and also why the speaker is going to have to lie on its side. i could mount the left surround at proper height, but to make things symmetrical, i'm going to mount them the same. they will also be directly to the right/left of listening position.

hope it still sounds ok when all is put up... gonna go get the shelves this weekend and hopefully get them up.

watsonusn
02-04-2008, 03:56 PM
Is the old 2-3 feet above ear level still the way to go? Just got my 200's & ready to go!!!

bdfin
02-04-2008, 07:20 PM
I bet once you get them set up, whether above the door or whatever, as long as you angle them towards your main listening position they will sound fine. Your room is not obviously the perfect home theater anyway so don't lose any sleep over it. With the quality speakers it will sound fine. For the ones that are close to your back wall couch position ( 1 ft. ) does your surround receiver have volume adjustment just for each pair of speakers. I think alot of them do, mine does and is over 5 years old. Smaller room or closer to head I've dialed them down a little to a nice blend.