PDA

View Full Version : lip sync delay-- options?

ebh
12-22-2006, 12:24 PM
just got a new 50" plasma (panasonic commercial), and it looks awesome. However, i'm getting some really bad lip sync delays that are really hurting the immersiveness of the experience.

What are my options for getting rid of this problem? Unfortunately, my receiver (Panny XR55) doesn't seem to have any lip sync settings.

i've seen some devices that purport to fix this, but they cost like $250. Seems crazy-- i might as well get a new receiver.

anyway, if anyone has thoughts, i'd appreciate it!

muzz
12-22-2006, 08:21 PM
Hey ebh

In the AVR menus, there is NOTHING in regards to DELAY?
I don't know that AVR, but even my old Yamaha from 3 yrs (or so) ago has it.

Are you sure?

m

ebh
12-23-2006, 12:52 AM
from what i have read everywhere, no. :( it has a distance setting, but i don't think it is really meant to deal with this problem.

anyone know if the xr57 does it? or, i see that davef has recommended harmon kardon receivers--what's their cheapest decent 7.1 AVR that would fit my needs? i like the xr55, but this bugs me a bit.

bikeman
12-23-2006, 05:59 AM
anyone know if the xr57 does it?
On page 33, it appears that it does but like every other Panasonic manual, it's a bit ambiguous.

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/SAXR57.PDF

David

muzz
12-23-2006, 09:01 AM
Yep, that should do it!!

ebh
12-23-2006, 01:29 PM
On page 33, it appears that it does but like every other Panasonic manual, it's a bit ambiguous.

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/SAXR57.PDF

David

thanks for the link. so there is some delay, but it's unclear how you adjust it. the delay can be different on different channels... guess ill go read the avs thread on the 57, and maybe look into some other receivers. this is really a bummer. i really love my whole system now, except for this issue with the lip sync. it looks awful.

curtis
12-23-2006, 02:00 PM
The lipsync shouldn't be different on different channels should it? It is the difference in the TV/video processing the video vs the audio processing....it should be a constant difference I would think.

Otherwise, that is constant adjusting every time you change the channel.

ebh
12-23-2006, 02:03 PM
The lipsync shouldn't be different on different channels should it? It is the difference in the TV/video processing the video vs the audio processing....it should be a constant difference I would think.

Otherwise, that is constant adjusting every time you change the channel.

i dunno, i have felt it to be somewhat different on different channels, tho i can't say for sure. plus different b/t dvd and the channels, although it seems like it should be the same b/c the scaling is the same (tho maybe it's different for different feeds--HD at 1080i, 720p, DVDs at 480p and SD at 480i.

muzz
12-23-2006, 02:15 PM
I personally would write down where it is now(when ya start adjusting it, there will be a starting point), and adjust it while watching someone talk(something with alot of talking ON THE SCREEN, and best to have something you can REPEAT), and go back and forth after you have matched to find the CLOSEST match(both sides of what looks perfect).

IF you have delay for all channels, I would start with the CENTER channel, after that is matched, I would think the others should be the same(setting wise), or very close in settings, if not, you can adjust a ms or 2 either way, and it should matchup.

curtis
12-23-2006, 02:52 PM
Lipsync delay works for all channels.

Using distance delay, I do no think you will have near enough the range to make a noticeable difference.

muzz
12-23-2006, 03:52 PM
I wasn't sure if they were ALL locked, I figured they were, but....

BGHD
12-23-2006, 06:03 PM
BTW, some DVD players have delay features too.