PDA

View Full Version : What to do about DVD player?

scottyh
12-12-2006, 11:43 AM
I posted this thread on HTF but never recieved a response. I love this forum and I am a proud ascend owner so im hoping someone here can give me some advise. So i purchased a Sony 5-disc DVD player from circuit city late august. Come december first it stopped playing DVD's, 4 days outside my 90 day parts and labor warranty. Well it will play the DVD's maybe 10% of the time and cd's maybe 50% of the time. Other than that it just keeps saying loading on the dvd player. I paid about $185 for it and Circuit city will only take returns for 90 days. So what should I do? Is it possible that after this short period of time the lens is dirty and just needs to be wiped off? If so I think I would have to take apart the dvd player. Also the component outlets stopped working. So i saw that Sony has the Parts warranty for a year but i would have to pay for labor and shipping. Which sounds expensive. Has anyone sent something to sony before? How expensive is it going to be? or if anyone else has any other recomendations on what i could do please let me know. Thanks In Advance

bikeman
12-12-2006, 06:12 PM
I posted this thread on HTF but never recieved a response. I love this forum and I am a proud ascend owner so im hoping someone here can give me some advise. So i purchased a Sony 5-disc DVD player from circuit city late august. Come december first it stopped playing DVD's, 4 days outside my 90 day parts and labor warranty. Well it will play the DVD's maybe 10% of the time and cd's maybe 50% of the time. Other than that it just keeps saying loading on the dvd player. I paid about $185 for it and Circuit city will only take returns for 90 days. So what should I do? Is it possible that after this short period of time the lens is dirty and just needs to be wiped off? If so I think I would have to take apart the dvd player. Also the component outlets stopped working. So i saw that Sony has the Parts warranty for a year but i would have to pay for labor and shipping. Which sounds expensive. Has anyone sent something to sony before? How expensive is it going to be? or if anyone else has any other recomendations on what i could do please let me know. Thanks In Advance
I ususally make my generic (sony and the like) purchases online. The $185. spent at CC is usually less than half that online. The risk is the same, it's just the initial cash outlay is much less. Also, it you use a major credit card, you often have an extended warranty. Check with your credit card company.

David

BGHD
01-07-2007, 03:21 PM
I sent a Sony DVD player (ns975v for a well-known tray-lock issue) in for service but luckily it was about 1 week before the 90day warranty was up. Has worked perfectly since. You can initiate a service request online at sony.com and they'll give you an estimate. I think mine would've cost around $30-50 for the labor. I paid almost $250 for my player, so 20% of the purchase price didn't seem too bad.