PDA

View Full Version : Connecting a VTF-2 - no sub out

schellhase
12-09-2006, 02:25 PM
My VTF-2 normally lives in my HT room but I want to give it a listen in my living room where I have two channel stereo. My Rotel RA-1062 Integrated Amp does not have a Sub out connection, but it does have outputs for two sets of speakers A & B. My current speakers use the A speaker connection. My question is can I use the B speaker output to connect the Hsu, with no output from the Hsu to any speakers.

Besides being the easiest way to set up a trial for the sub, it would allow me to do an easy comparision with and without the sub. Is there any problem with this setup?

Thanks,

Larry
LA, CA

GirgleMirt
12-09-2006, 04:06 PM
I was going to say that you wouldn't be taking advantage of the sub's high filter, but it seems that no HSU subs uses them so you're not losing anything.

A serious problem which I think might happen though if you only connect the sub to the B speaker output of your amp, is that the sub really isn't really a resistive load, so it would pretty much be the same thing as if you directly connected the + to the - speaker jack, that would cause a short circuit and I'm not sure sure how the amp would respond... I wouldn't want to try something like that on my amp thats for sure!

I would instead use the regular method, connect the amp speaker outputs to the sub's speaker input and connect the speakers to the sub's speaker output.

After some googling, found that your integrated has a pre-out outputs. So you could connect the sub using two RCA cables from the amp's pre-out to the sub's low level inputs. That would also work.

http://europe.rotel.com/support/pdfs/drawings/RA1062-back.pdf