PDA

View Full Version : David, What do you really listen to?

davef
01-13-2004, 10:03 AM
Hi James,

Please, call me Dave or David. Mr Fabrikant is too impersonal.

>I recently read in one of your threads that you and your wife were enjoying the new 340c in your home theater. I don't find that hard to believe but it did make me wonder... What else are you listening to?

Speaker wise? Believe it or not.. nothing but Ascends. Sure, I have loads of different loudspeakers but Barney, The Wiggles, and Bear and the Big Blue House videos all sound the same to me regardless of what loudspeakers I have connected. With a 2-year old running all over the place, I seldom get to enjoy more than a 15 minute listening session. If he does manage to fall asleep early, I am usually far too tired to swap out whatever loudspeakers are hooked up in order to listen to something else.

It is a rare occasion when I can watch an entire movie, disturbance free and at a volume level that does the sound system justice. When we watched SWAT, the dialogue reproduction and dynamics of the 340 center really stuck with me and I found it refreshing that I can still be impressed or "wowed" by a loudspeaker after almost 20 years in this industry.

>Can you recomend any good audio books. I'd like to further my understanding of reproducing sound.

Certainly; one of the very best is Vance Dickason's "Loudspeaker Design Cookbook". This book will keep you busy for years...

Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
www.ascendacoustics.com

Quinn
01-13-2004, 12:03 PM
DaveF- Listening to my daughter's shows is one of the best things of the Ascends. I don't get fatigued, from sound anyway.

The last pair(well the old 170CC mated with a new 170 with the 340CC for me) I got from you guys went in the kids playroom so they hear real music and not just their $50 CD boom boxes. Now I've got to slice $300 out of the budget to play with one of the Panny digitals and see if it is all that.

Hey Curtis, I think checking out the Panny digitals is the perfect thing for you.

curtis
01-13-2004, 12:28 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Quinn

Hey Curtis, I think checking out the Panny digitals is the perfect thing for you.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Sure thing...I will send you my shipping address. [:)]

-curtis

Quinn
01-13-2004, 10:32 PM
Just remember to have your checkbook ready for the COD. ; )

azanon
01-14-2004, 04:51 AM
The 340c is my favorite too Dave, as you may have already read. My time to listen to music is when i get home from work an hr before my wife does. I usually have my 5 month old in my hands, and i listen to several CD's in DPLII mode so i can hear the 340c go to town. Josh Groban + 340C = bliss!

Hope i'm not hurting his little ears playing my system (im reasonable, i think). :-( Hard to know for sure if their little ears are more sensitive to damage than mine.

Azanon