PDA

View Full Version : Ceiling mount for 340's

MikeQ
11-30-2006, 04:08 AM
is there ANY way to do this? Is there a "best" mount for the 340's. I need to mount them on the ceiling three or four feet out from the wall.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have been told to get them off the floor by the wife.

belvedere
12-29-2006, 02:35 PM
Well here are some pics of what I did to hoist a pair of 170s to a ceiling:
http://www.flickr.com/gp/67755666@N00/4530a3

for info, they hang about 8 feet off the ground (~3-4 feet off the ceiling) and angle is controlled via length of the cables. "Toe-in" or whatever it is actually called is controlled by turning an eye-bolt. Its hard for me to describe without drawing some diagrams, but I think you get the idea from the pics. Hanging 340s in a similar fashion would be challenging with their geometry I think though. The 170s are secured to 3/4" mdf using ratchet straps (like people use to tie down equipment on their trucks). I secured hardware to the mdf to suspend each speaker on 2 unequal lengths of 3/8" steel cable (the shorter the back cable, the sharper the angle of the speaker). Each length of cable was strung through an eyebolt before being attached to the other side of the mdf. Two cables were preferred to 4 because it woulda been a huge pain to make sure each set (front and rear pair) of cables matched. Eye bolts were secured to "tee slots" in my ceiling. I know this isnt a common feature, but I'm sure there are other reasonable ways to approach getting a large eye on your ceiling.

Just throwing it out there, I did alot of agonizing about setup and this has worked out pretty well for me, rock solid (did find some slop in one of the ratchet straps after a day which I just tightened back up) a reasonably easy to adjust. Might also want to consider a safety wire should things go wrong, Im using some picture wire in case the straps fail. The picture wire is not rated for the 170s weight, but I figure it wouldnt be an immediate drop, and even if it does break, at least it would slow the fall.

bikeman
12-29-2006, 02:42 PM
I like your set-up so I showed it to my wife. The only thing she said was, "he lives alone." :D
Good ingenuity. :cool:

David

belvedere
12-29-2006, 03:04 PM
I like your set-up so I showed it to my wife. The only thing she said was, "he lives alone." :D
Good ingenuity. :cool:

David

hah, I definitely live alone. However, I live in a converted factory so the look fits imo. I dread the idea of marriage and having to put all my toys in storage. Hopefully I'll at least have a basement to play in. I admit my place looks like a warzone right now, but in a week or so I'll have it primped and ready so I'll take some better shots of my set up.

muzz
12-29-2006, 06:51 PM
I see what ya did finally B, wtg!!
Like I said, my buddy did something similar to that way back in the day, and it worked out pretty well for him.

I use Ratchet straps all the time, I would fold the excess(taped in a small fold) onto the tight strap, and put a tie wrap or 2 on that.
Usually a few wraps of electrical tape would do it, but you obviously wont be able to do that with the strap tight against the wood....... tie wraps can be slid in between, and cranked down to keep it in place.
Enjoy higher volume!!

m