PDA

View Full Version : My TV and stereo imaging

curtis
11-21-2006, 11:56 AM
Some of you may have read Lindahl's post about his visit to my house for some listening:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?p=19230#post19230

Since his visit and mention of the stereo image being pulled to the left when sitting in the listening position, I have been more bugged about it than before. It is something that I sometimes notice, and other times I don't, but after Lindahl's visit.....I noticed it all the time.

I played with the blinds on that side of the room, opening them, closing them, trying different angles, and messing with the curtains too. I also changed the toe-in, and pulled the speakers out another inch.....I thought it all helped. After more listening, I was not happy...the image still pulled.

So I set out again to try and figure it out lastnight. As I was standing in front of the TV listening for image pull while that close, I noticed my TV was slightly askew.....slightly pointing towards the left side of the listening position. Hmmm....lightbulb comes on in my head. I re-position the TV, and the pull to the left is gone!!!

The toe-in is causing reflection off of the TV. I have bias lighting behind the TV that I will move and then push the TV back another inch and see if that has an effect. As of now, I can literally steer the stereo image by angling my TV in different directions.

Another reason for a projector. :)

Mag_Neato
11-21-2006, 12:21 PM
Some of you may have read Lindahl's post about his visit to my house for some listening:

http://forum.ascendacoustics.com/showthread.php?p=19230#post19230

Since his visit and mention of the stereo image being pulled to the left when sitting in the listening position, I have been more bugged about it than before. It is something that I sometimes notice, and other times I don't, but after Lindahl's visit.....I noticed it all the time.

I played with the blinds on that side of the room, opening them, closing them, trying different angles, and messing with the curtains too. I also changed the toe-in, and pulled the speakers out another inch.....I thought it all helped. After more listening, I was not happy...the image still pulled.

So I set out again to try and figure it out lastnight. As I was standing in front of the TV listening for image pull while that close, I noticed my TV was slightly askew.....slightly pointing towards the left side of the listening position. Hmmm....lightbulb comes on in my head. I re-position the TV, and the pull to the left is gone!!!

The toe-in is causing reflection off of the TV. I have bias lighting behind the TV that I will move and then push the TV back another inch and see if that has an effect. As of now, I can literally steer the stereo image by angling my TV in different directions.

Another reason for a projector. :)

Uh huh.....right! Keep talkin' yerself into one Curtis. What the heck! Why not just create a second 2-channel setup in another room? :D

curtis
11-21-2006, 12:56 PM
LOL!! :D

Unfortunately, even if I talk myself into a projector, I can not do it in that room. A seperate two-channel system is not practical either.

But I am trying. :)

Eddie Horton
11-21-2006, 12:58 PM
In all seriousness, I think Mag has it right on the separate room issue. I'm of the opinion that to do both really well requires two different systems. If you have a dedicated HT space that you also want to use for 2 channel listening that has had all the acoustical treatments necessary for HT, then you end up with room that is too "dead" for 2 channel. If you add a center, surrounds, and a display to your 2 channel setup, the room may be too "lively" for HT, or like Curtis has noticed, something like a large display between your mains may not be so hot for 2 channel listening. Don't get me wrong, I currently do both in my living room setup, but since starting my dedicated HT build and doing a lot of research, it's got me to thinking about possibly turning my office into an office/2channel room where the speakers and equipment were on the opposite end of the room from the desk. That way, I could do office type stuff and then simply turn around and bask in some music. Any thoughts?

curtis
11-21-2006, 01:46 PM
Eddie...I think that is a great idea.

I would love to be able to do something like that.

My room actually sounds pretty good, but this issue really bugged me, and I know that big TV in the middle is a hinderance no matter what I do.

MichaelG
11-22-2006, 10:58 AM
That's interesting Curtis! I am not very knowledgeable about sound stage but had an issue where I felt that my right side was stronger than my left. I had balance on the front two 340's one notch to the left to compensate. I recently bought two GIK 244's and placed one on the right side (other in corner near sub) to offset the chair on the left and that has seemed to minimize the issue along with providing what I think is better imaging/soundstage. At least the different instruments seem more separated and spread out in the room. I will have to look at my TV when I get home now to see if that is an issue!

Thanks for sharing!

Michael