PDA

View Full Version : my CBM 170 SE review

byrdsmaniac
11-16-2006, 06:53 AM
Not only do my new Ascend CBM 170 SE speakers have outstandingly flat and smooth frequency response, but they also have exceptionally even and wide dispersion both horizontally and vertically. Those facts are clearly audible as well as measurable in my home set up. Tonal and transient qualities of instruments and voices are beautifully delineated with subtlety and without exaggeration. Every instrument sounds nearly as natural as reproduction ever gets and voices are just beautiful.
Finally, the resolution of these little guys is really terrific. It is quite possible to distinguish the differences between recording studios or microphones or between a pan potted sound stage and a real one. With these speakers the inferiority of compressed audio files is instantly obvious compared to the original CDs even when using the highest bit rates. The CBMs also convey a sense of spatial realism that few speakers that I have heard can match.
These speakers are far better than their ridiculously low price would suggest. I like them more than models I auditioned from Paradigm, B&W, Monitor Audio, and Boston Acoustics, some of which cost over twice as much. Above 60 Hz, they match the tonality of my neutral sounding $1500 a pair Monitor Audio Silver 8i floor standers very closely, but the very top end of the CBM 170s is actually a bit more extended. The Ascends also have somewhat wider and smoother off-axis treble dispersion than the Silver 8i's and that is something at which those speakers excel.
Performance this good has to be the result of very smart engineering and long hard work. It sure didn't happen by luck or accident. From now on, when people ask me what brands of speakers I recommend, I will tell them to give Ascend Acoustics a try and use the money they'll end up saving for concert tickets and recordings. Bravo!

Gov
11-16-2006, 08:42 AM
Nice review!! I totally agree!!

davef
11-16-2006, 06:05 PM
Hi byrdsmaniac,

Thanks for posting the wonderful review and I am very pleased to know that you are enjoying the speakers. You write so well, perhaps someone from one of the major audio publications will read it and give you a call :D

I have copied the review to the "review" section to make it more accessible.