PDA

View Full Version : Crossover

curtis
01-01-2004, 01:18 PM
Is there a setting for sub being on or off as well?

What model do you have, maybe we can dig up the manual and check it out.

The 170's can not play ultra low frequencies, and many find that they are fine with music without a sub.

-curtis

trekkerj
01-01-2004, 01:45 PM
It is a Pioneer VXS-D509S. Yes, it does have the option to turn the sub off, but then, as you say, I would be missing some low frequencies. There is also an option while setting each speaker to large (to send additional bass to them) to set the sub to "PLUS" which sends the bass to the sub ALSO. Maybe this is what I will need to do? Thanks in advance.

curtis
01-02-2004, 04:43 AM
does your sub also have a crossover on it?

you can send the full signal to the speakers, and try to blend the sub with its own crossover as well.

I think Azanon is using his receiver's 100hz crossover point.

-curtis

trekkerj
01-02-2004, 07:00 AM
The sub DOES have a crossover, and can be set to 100Hz, but it is DISABLED when all speakers are set to large speakers. I can set the sub to 'PLUS' which will send bass to the sub also. Not sure if this setting RE-enables the crossover option though.

curtis
01-02-2004, 07:56 AM
I mean on the actual sub....not on the receiver.

-curtis

trekkerj
01-02-2004, 09:43 AM
No, not on the sub. It's a no-frills sub, just power on and off and volume. Came in the Jensen 6-piece set.

curtis
01-02-2004, 09:56 AM
I am thinking you will be better off running the speakers as large, and not worrying about that sub to handle stuff lower than the -3db point of the speakers. My guess is the sound will be cleaner.

Best thing to do is play around with all the combinations.

-curtis

trekkerj
01-02-2004, 10:20 AM
So basically, when I get all 5 speakers hooked up running them as large, I can turn off the sub? If I do that, how do I control the volume of the lower frequencies. I don't like to completely blast the LFE (I live in an apartment and have neighbors). I suppose I will try that, as well as sending additional bass to the sub if I think it would sound better. Guess I'll see what sounds best, but I really like to have control of the LFE which the volume knob on the sub gives me right now.