PDA

View Full Version : room treatment

nuck
09-15-2006, 12:29 PM
Hello everyone.
I have a decent stereo kit, with so-so speakers and I want to treat my room properly before moving to another speaker pair.
The room is terribly difficult and impossible to explain, so I wanted to post a layout, but lack tools easily used to create my personal space.
Can anyone recommend a test or download tool for creating this imagery so I can post it?

Thank-you in advance.

Nuck

jermy4
09-15-2006, 05:43 PM
I used visio to draw my layout but you could just draw it on paper and scan it. You can also just use paintbrush to get the basic layout.

nuck
09-15-2006, 05:48 PM
Thanks Jermy, I suppose it is time I got another scanner. They are such a pain in the butt, and seldom used.
Visio I will check out, I want to lay this one out for a look see.
I know I need some panels, likely a few, my speakers presently face a bare wall 12' away.
I will try to represent the room.

Thank You

jermy4
09-15-2006, 05:55 PM
I can give you some advice without even seeing your room layout. If you want to treat the reflection points use a long mirror and have someone move it along the wall while you sit in the normal listening spot. When you can see the woofer and tweeter of the speaker in the mirror you have found where the reflection will hit the wall and an acoustic panel should go there. Also make sure you have carpet or an area rug between where you sit and where the speakers are sitting.

nuck
09-15-2006, 06:21 PM
And thanks again, Jermy, I need to find a lightweight panel to move around, the dim's will be 24"x48"x(?) and the material, I do not know. But the material shall be covered in a variety of colour option, for the sake of my decor and my lovely wife.
What material makes up the body of the panel, please?

jermy4
09-15-2006, 06:25 PM
I have these on my walls: http://www.auralex.com/acoustic_studiofoam_2w/acoustic_studiofoam_2w.asp

They work very well and I'm pretty sure you can wrap them in any material you like. Also to make them look better I think most people in your situation usually frame them to make them easier to hang and easier to attach the fabric to.

BradJudy
09-15-2006, 06:58 PM
You can use Google SketchUp (it's free) to draw out your room.

GIK Acoustics is a popular option for room treatments that are reasonably priced.

ATS Acoustics seems to have good prices too.

If you are into a little bit of do-it-yourself, you can get components to build your own from Sensible Sound Solutions. I saw another similar site mentioned recently, but can't find the name now.

curtis
09-15-2006, 07:20 PM
Brad...thanks for the ATS tip. I have also been looking at FoamByMail and making my own panels. http://www.foambymail.com

The DIY panels from ATS seem very reasonably priced.

My last decision is choosing a fabric/pattern to cover the panels. Looks like I need to take a trip to the fabric store.

nuck
09-15-2006, 07:26 PM
Yes, thanks, Brad. Now a suitable fabric, some might be dark green, some deep blue, this is where I turn it over to my great wife!(thankfully).

BradJudy
09-15-2006, 08:07 PM
Curtis, the "acoustic" foam from Foambymail has been tested and shown to provide almost no real benefit. The tested NRC numbers were WAY under the ones they list on their site. I was considering them at one point, but abandonded that plan when I saw the test results (sorry can't find a link at the moment).

I might pick up some items from GIK at the RMAF if they have show specials to get rid of what they bring.

curtis
09-15-2006, 08:39 PM
Really? I have local friend that made some panels from stuff he got from FoamByMail, and they seemed to help.

Thanks for the tip though. ATS looks to be the way to go for me. Just matter if get the panels and wrap them myself, or go with the burlap they have.

My room is actually pretty dead. I just want to do something functional and eye pleasing to the front wall.

chas
09-16-2006, 08:23 AM
The DIY panels from ATS seem very reasonably priced.

If you make some I hope you can find the time to document the process and cost...please keep us updated Curtis.

curtis
09-16-2006, 09:40 AM
If you make some I hope you can find the time to document the process and cost...please keep us updated Curtis.
I don't know if I can handle that kind of pressure.