PDA

View Full Version : ringtone only kids can hear....

curtis
08-20-2006, 07:14 PM
So, as we know, the older we get, our hearing goes.

Apparently kids know this....check out this article:
http://saunderslog.com/2006/06/12/the-mosquito-ring-tone-this-adult-can-hear-it/

I first heard about this at work, and one of my co-workers played the tone. I could hear it, but some of my other co-workers could not.

Then I searched for more info on this, and found the above article with the "mosquito" tone. I played it and could NOT hear it, but my son who happen to be sitting next to me said "what the heck is that?". My daughter came into the room and could hear it too...but not me!

So I think what I heard at work was a different tone.

I think I am going to go get my hearing checked.

Lou-the-dog
08-20-2006, 07:51 PM
Thanks for posting this Curtis. I played the 15Khz test tone and the kids all immediately yelled at me. They were in the other room watching TV. I could hear it too. We played the 16Khz tone and I could hear it too. That's where it stopped for me. The kids could hear the 17 and 18 easily and even when I made them go to the other room. I couldn't hear a thing. Apparently my computer speakers must have a response to 18Khz (even tho I can't hear it). I think I'm not doing too bad for a 47 year old (just) that has spent way too much time operating loud farm machinery.

Randy

curtis
08-20-2006, 07:57 PM
I could barely perceive the 15khz tone....above that....nothing...although my kids heard them all and said "Dad!!" Heck...I'm 42!

bikeman
08-21-2006, 04:10 AM
Thanks for posting this Curtis. I played the 15Khz test tone and the kids all immediately yelled at me. They were in the other room watching TV. I could hear it too. We played the 16Khz tone and I could hear it too. That's where it stopped for me. The kids could hear the 17 and 18 easily and even when I made them go to the other room. I couldn't hear a thing. Apparently my computer speakers must have a response to 18Khz (even tho I can't hear it). I think I'm not doing too bad for a 47 year old (just) that has spent way too much time operating loud farm machinery. Randy
16k is probably above average for a 47 year old. That farm machinery must not be much of a soprano. ;)

David

curtis
08-21-2006, 11:11 AM
OK...just listenned to the tones with headphones. I can definitely hear the mosquito and 15khz tones. The other ones...I am not so sure.

Lou-the-dog
08-22-2006, 06:57 PM
16k is probably above average for a 47 year old. That farm machinery must not be much of a soprano. ;)

David

Hehe! Yup, I'd say the audio frequency of most farm machinery falls into the lower ranges. But, the sound of hundreds of hungry squealing pigs waiting for breakfast can easily test the human audio threshhold of pain...I should wear earplugs. My wife would probably say that my hearing loss would definitely fall into the frequency range of a female voice. And, I might add, THAT is fine and dandy with me. :D

Randy