PDA

View Full Version : DVD advice needed

pegleg
08-19-2006, 08:50 PM
I have two DVD players, an old, cheapo Toshiba SD-2700, and a newer (universal) JVC XV-NP10S.
The JVC has noticeably better video quality and shows track numbers for CDs. The older Toshiba lacks track numbers.
But my problem is that while watching Star Trek-First Contact tonight, the JVC reached a new height in annoying pauses: at least 15 during the first half of the movie. Plust a bunch of stutters, as well. In fact my wife and I got so annoyed we switched out players, to the Toshiba. No pauses at all!

So I need a reccomendation. I like the higher quality DVD picture of the bad player, but cannot stand this many 'pauses' or 'stops'. Nor do I want to spend $300+ for a new player--and from what I read, many players have this flaw.

I hoped that asking the question here, would find someone who could recommend a decent player.

Thanks,

Pegleg

curtis
08-19-2006, 10:50 PM
With the new formats battling it out, I decided to sell my Denon 2900 while I could still get good money for it on the used market, and I bought an Oppo 970.....for $150, it can not be beat. It is acting as a "placeholder" for me until the format wars are sorted out or the players come down signigicantly in price.

While I think my Denon had better sound qualilty, the picture quality I give a slight edge to the Oppo.

http://oppodigital.com/dv970hd/dv970hd.html

bikeman
08-20-2006, 02:48 AM
Has this happened before with the JVC? If so, then it's time for a new player. If this is the first occurence, I'd wait. I had a Toshiba 2710 that did this all the time. It's now collecting dust somewhere in the basement.
If Santa brings me a new widescreen, I'll look at the Oppo.

David

pegleg
08-20-2006, 10:07 AM
Bikeman: This has been an ongoing problem with the JVC, but never as bad as this one DVD (ST: First Contact). I guess it's time to scrap it.

Curtis, will the Oppo work with regular TV (we have a Sony Wega), with regular (NOT hidef) DVDs and movies?

Thanks,
Pegleg

curtis
08-20-2006, 10:42 AM
Curtis, will the Oppo work with regular TV (we have a Sony Wega), with regular (NOT hidef) DVDs and movies?

Yup...it sure will.