PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions needed: Sub and Rear Surround placement

YeliRaj
08-16-2006, 08:18 PM
Hello,

Please see attached room layout

Qs:

A. Is it ok to place the rear surrounds in the corner of 2 walls, less than 1 foot behind seating position? ( The seats will be close to the rear wall).

B. What height would you recommended installing the rear surrounds? We have 9' ceilings.

b. Which positions is preferable for the sub - Front or Rear corner ? does it matter installing subwoofer in a corner with three concrete surfaces?

Thanks
Raj

PLincoln
08-17-2006, 06:05 AM
Hello,

Please see attached room layout

Qs:

A. Is it ok to place the rear surrounds in the corner of 2 walls, less than 1 foot behind seating position? ( The seats will be close to the rear wall).

B. What height would you recommended installing the rear surrounds? We have 9' ceilings.

b. Which positions is preferable for the sub - Front or Rear corner ? does it matter installing subwoofer in a corner with three concrete surfaces?

Thanks
Raj

A. While not ideal, if that's what you have to work with then there isn't much point in saying otherwise. if this is 5.1, then the surrounds should ideall be on the sides of the listening position, not behind.

Anything you can do to move the couch forward will be an improvement. Sitting right near a boundary will cause all kinds of muck as far as audio quality is concerned. the bass will seem boomy, etc.

B. about 2-3ft above ear level when seated.

C. Ideally, place the sub near one of the LR channels. This will help reduce localization. Even if the sub is XO'ed low enough, it's harmonics can be much higher which will make it easy to pinpoint in the room.

Quinn
08-17-2006, 08:19 AM
I have a similiar room and put the sub behind the couch which also let me get the surrounds slightly behind the couch.

YeliRaj
08-17-2006, 12:15 PM
As I understand, surrounds can be placed beside or slightly behind listening position at about 3 ft above ear height when seated. Likewise the Sub can be placed either in front or behind the couch.

I will be prewiring this weekend, so hope to get a best positions. I have the flexibility to go either way. A few followup questions:

1. Is it enough to place couch 1 1/2 ft away from rear wall? We cannot afford more, else we'd be too close to the 100" diag screen.

2. Will placing Bass traps alleviate the bass boominess if the couch is too close to rear wall? If so what are the two best places to install Bass traps in our room layout? floor, front wall and right wall are concrete surfaces, rest are framed drywalls with R19 insulation.

3. Do you have any reviews on GIK 244 Bass Trap built by http://www.gikacoustics.com? Can you recommed any inexpensive Bass Traps.

4. Does Bi-Wiring help Ascends perform better?

Thanks!

azanon
08-17-2006, 01:44 PM
I thought the surrounds we're ideally supposed to be to the side, but maybe slightly behind - pretty much how you will have it. Only thing is, i believe when they're to the side, they're supposed to be pointed at each other so is there anyway you can mount them aiming at each other? Hopefully those are HTM-200s

2. If its a HSU, talk to Dr. Hsu. He wrote me a personal email and helped me out and I think he makes suggestions if you send him a diagram like that.