PDA

View Full Version : Omnimount 20s + 170s + Drywall Only = Disaster?

Johnal
08-14-2006, 11:32 PM
I recently purchased the Omnimount 20s to use for my 170s as surrounds. However, after careful search I came to realize that there aren't any studs in the areas where my speakers should be placed. How safe is it to mount into just drywall with the supplied anchors? I will most likely end up buying the most hardcore drywall anchors i can find just to be safe, but even then it seems like a lot of "pulling out of the wall" weight against the anchor. It just seems like it's a lot more pressure on the anchor using these omnimounts than it would be to hang a 15 pound mirror that has it's weight pulling down, not out. ANyone make any suggestions? THanks in advance!

azanon
08-15-2006, 05:22 AM
Its too bad you already have the 170s (for surrounds). They're overkill IMO for that duty and the HTM-200s would have weighed less. Even for DVD-A's/SACDs, the HTM-200s do a fine job.

IMO, the perfect Ascend setup with takes into account a visually maximized setup is 340s across the front, and up to 4 HTM-200s in the back with a nice sub.

Azanon

BradJudy
08-15-2006, 05:50 AM
You could try a higher strength drywall mounting technique like toggle bolts.

PLincoln
08-15-2006, 06:24 AM
while I am not using omnimounts (I made my own), I also did not have studs in the right location. I used heavy duty drywall anchors with no problems...

http://www.cyberfrogs.net/photo/index.php?directory=/albums/house/mediaroom/Ascend%20Speakers

Chances are rare that you would actually have a stud exactly where you need it....Lowes/HD have plenty of different styles of anchors. I am not a fan of toggle bolts, I much prefer anchors such as these in the attached photo.

rajacat
08-15-2006, 08:16 AM
If you can live with the appearance, use a length of wood, perhaps with nicely routered edges to span two studs and then attach the Omnimounts 20s to it.

Raja

Johnal
08-15-2006, 09:09 AM
Its too bad you already have the 170s (for surrounds). They're overkill IMO for that duty and the HTM-200s would have weighed less. Even for DVD-A's/SACDs, the HTM-200s do a fine job.

IMO, the perfect Ascend setup with takes into account a visually maximized setup is 340s across the front, and up to 4 HTM-200s in the back with a nice sub.

Azanon

Well, I've never heard the HTM-200s but I've got the 340s across the front with the 2 170's and a PC-ULtra. I enjoy listening to music in many different surround modes including the 5 channel surround mode which I think helps in taking advantage of the 170s.

Johnal
08-15-2006, 09:10 AM
while I am not using omnimounts (I made my own), I also did not have studs in the right location. I used heavy duty drywall anchors with no problems...

http://www.cyberfrogs.net/photo/index.php?directory=/albums/house/mediaroom/Ascend%20Speakers

Chances are rare that you would actually have a stud exactly where you need it....Lowes/HD have plenty of different styles of anchors. I am not a fan of toggle bolts, I much prefer anchors such as these in the attached photo.

Why aren't you a fan of toggle bolts? Just curious because I read that these were the strongest so I was sort of leaning in that direction...

Johnal
08-15-2006, 09:12 AM
If you can live with the appearance, use a length of wood, perhaps with nicely routered edges to span two studs and then attach the Omnimounts 20s to it.

Raja

Not a bad idea actually. My walls aren't painted (they are just white) so it would be easy enough to paint the length of wood white and they shouldn't be too distracting.

BradJudy
08-15-2006, 10:20 AM

Raja

That's a good idea also and a classic solution to a mounting issue. I have a pair of metal L bars spanning ceiling studs so I could hang my projector between them.

PLincoln
08-16-2006, 08:40 AM
Why aren't you a fan of toggle bolts? Just curious because I read that these were the strongest so I was sort of leaning in that direction...

because they can be a pain in the a$$ to tighten if you are using more than one on the same bracket. You would have to tighen them each a little bit at a time, so that the toggle is always in contact with the back of the drywall until all of them are tight.

Also, the hole required to push the toggle behind the drywall is much larger than the OD of the screw...so once the toggle is installed there is a lot of play and getting your speaker level can be a pain too.

I'd rather just pop a couple anchors like that into place...that I know are level and then attach my brackets...much easier IMHO.