PDA

View Full Version : Child Proof

chrixx
08-08-2006, 11:17 AM
I wanted to purchase 340se mains, but I have two small children and don't want the speakers to end up destroyed. I was thinking about mounting them, but they are kind of big and don't think I will get WAF approved. How sturdy are the 340m stands for the 340 mains? I read that they can be sand filled, which would help. How secure are the speakers on top of the stands? Will they easily be knocked over? Should I just forget the 340se and go with 170se with the wall mounts?

The room is 19x15x9 and open to the right side.

curtis
08-08-2006, 11:37 AM
How old are your kids? Will the speakers be in a play area?

I have had sand filled stands, a bit taller than the Ascend custom stands, for about three years now. They are filled with sand and weigh about 60lbs each.

My children are 9 and 7 now....and they have never been an issue...never have fallen over.

My Parents have the 340's on the custom Ascend stands and have not filled them with sand. We are over there a lot, as well as nieces and nephews....never a problem.

One word of advice....don't ever let the kids know that the grilles come off.

chrixx
08-08-2006, 11:42 AM
My kids are 2 and 3. They won't touch them while I'm around. The set up will be in the family room where they spend most of the day. I think if I fill them with sand they should be ok, but they may start tugging on the speaker wire :mad:

Do you think the 170se can fill the room or will the 340se make a night/day difference?

I definitely will not be taking off the grill with them around. Thanks for the advice.

curtis
08-08-2006, 11:45 AM
It is not easy to get behind my speakers, so the cables are not easily accessable. Maybe I am lucky....my kids have not been interested in them. They only thing they have been interested in is controlling the system.

The 170SE's will definitely be able to fill the room, but you still have to hide the cables.

chrixx
08-08-2006, 11:51 AM
I am actually getting ready to install in-wall wire and will plate them. If I decide on mounting, I will put the plates just above the mount to try to keep them out of site.

If I use the stands, I guess I can go pretty close to the wall so they can't grab the cable. How far should they be from the wall?

curtis
08-08-2006, 11:57 AM
I am actually getting ready to install in-wall wire and will plate them. If I decide on mounting, I will put the plates just above the mount to try to keep them out of site.

If I use the stands, I guess I can go pretty close to the wall so they can't grab the cable. How far should they be from the wall?

Every room is different, but the front of the speaker should be in front of plane of the TV...or any surface. For the amount of room behind the speaker, it depends on room....mine around around 18" from the wall, I think.

chrixx
08-08-2006, 12:01 PM
My TV is a RPTV so they would have to be pretty far off the wall. I think I may be forced into 170s until my kids get a little older.

curtis
08-08-2006, 12:29 PM
You do not want the 170s behind the TV either. Of course, that is the best case scenario. If you have to compromise...then you do what you can.

chrixx
08-08-2006, 12:35 PM
Does it matter if I space them further apart?

curtis
08-08-2006, 01:18 PM
How far apart? That could bring up another set of issues.

Here are some good guidelines to get you started;
http://dolbylabs.com/consumer/home_entertainment/roomlayout.html

chrixx
08-08-2006, 01:30 PM
Let me rephrase. Would spreading them further apart make any difference with the issue of being in front of the plane of the RPTV?

curtis
08-08-2006, 01:35 PM
The problem will be there, but the effects not as great. Having them too far about creates imaging problems.

Ascend's guideline is the distance between the two front speakers be 0.73 times the distance from distance from the listening position to the center point between the two speakers.

It is all about compromises and what you are willing to do when it comes to rooms....and kids. :)

chrixx
08-08-2006, 01:48 PM
That's good to know. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for your help. Now I have to make a decision on 340s on stands or 170s on mounts :confused:

curtis
08-08-2006, 01:49 PM
My vote goes to 340's on stands and test the kids.