View Full Version : HK 3480 or ? with CMT-340 classics

07-28-2006, 10:32 AM
I'm moving my 5.1 HT (classic 340 fronts and 170 surrounds) into a dedicated room. For HT I'm planning on moving the 170's forward as mains (I have a good sub), and picking up some HTM-200's for the surrounds. This way I can take the 340 mains and move them out to the family room for use with TV, CD's, and radio.

To do this I'll need another receiver for the family room. The HK 3480 stereo receiver looks like quite a bargain (both for refurbs on Ebay and new at a few e-tailers).

Anyone have thoughts on this unit...or alternate suggestions?

07-28-2006, 01:44 PM
Chas, I've been eyeing the HK 3480 also. I would like to assemble a dedicated 2 channel audio system consisting of the Harmon receiver, a pair of Magneplanar MMG's, an Adire Rava sub, a Cambridge Audio Azur 640C v2.0 cd player, and a Pro-Ject Debut III turntable. According to Stereophile the HK 3480 is very good at driving the MMG's. I think you would be very pleased with this receiver.

07-28-2006, 01:50 PM
Thanks Ben. I've been wondering if I should step up to a better receiver, but it sounds like you're planning to pair some nice gear with the HK. I have not seen the Stereophile article you mentioned...is it available online or in print only?

07-28-2006, 02:15 PM


Chas, on the Stereophile article look down below the info on the MMG's. The second link is pretty good too.

One more:

07-28-2006, 02:20 PM
As you can see, I really have been eyeing this receiver!

07-28-2006, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the links. I've actually read the positive feedback review (even emailed the author) and the cnet review....I'll have to check out the stereophile link. :)

07-28-2006, 04:58 PM
You'll have to let us know what you think of the MMG's (I don't live too far from Magnepan actually).

08-04-2006, 01:38 PM
I have the 3480 running my 170 classics and I love the way it works and sounds.

Thumbs up in my book. You should be able to get a really good deal on a refurb at the ebay store too.

08-04-2006, 03:47 PM
Do you run a sub with the 170/3480 combo?

I've been bidding on the refurbs, but I've set my limit at $100 less than a new unit (at an authorized etailer) and so far have not been able to get one at this price!

08-04-2006, 09:52 PM
Yes I run a custom built 12" sealed sub. The receiver doesn't have a crossover so I bought an external one.

Not sure what price you are shooting for but I got mine for $191 after bidding on lots of auctions for weeks. Under $200 was my goal.

08-05-2006, 06:00 AM
What external crossover did you get?

Maybe I'm being a little aggressive on price for the refurb...haven't had any luck at my price point. May go with a new one since the price is not bad.

08-05-2006, 07:55 AM
At first I used the crossover in my sub but I realized that there was no high pass in it so my 170s were getting a full range signal. That is when I realized that I really needed to get an external crossover. I couldn't find any that weren't riduculously expensive so I ended up picking up a used ICBM. The ICBM is total overkill since it has crossovers for 7 channels but the price was fairly reasonable. I would check audiogon to see what kind of crossovers are on there. You might also look on parts express.

If you are trying to do this on the cheap I would just run a full range signal to your sub and use it's crossover and use something like this (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=266-272) to cut the low frequencies from reaching your main speakers. This will help make the bass cleaner and will eliminate cancellation if you set both crossovers around the same point.

If you are patient you might be able to get one for $150-$160 but my patience grew thin quickly when I kept getting outbid. I will tell you that you would never know this receiver was not new since it was perfect right out of the box.

08-07-2006, 05:54 AM
I asked Dave F. a similar question last year. He recommended a unit that Hsu sells for $100. You can select the low and high pass points, but you need to specify those at the time of purchase.


08-07-2006, 07:20 AM
I asked Dave F. a similar question last year. He recommended a unit that Hsu sells for $100. You can select the low and high pass points, but you need to specify those at the time of purchase.

Yeah, he recommended that to me too. Like I said, the ICBM is overkill for what I use it for but it has even more flexibility than the hsu high-pass. If I had it to do all over again I would just go for the hsu product since it is cheaper and takes up less space.

Now, the real question is ... what crossover points do you pick???