PDA

View Full Version : Electronica anyone?

curtis
07-27-2006, 08:20 AM
So, up until now, I have not taken a good listen to the electronica genre.

I recently heard a track from Theivery Corporation, and last night I was at Barnes & Noble checking some stuff out.

The salesperson notice me looking at some of the Theivery Corporation's discs and demoing them, and suggested I check out a band called Zero 7.

So I look for them and grab their "Simple Things" disc. Although they are called an electronica group, the sound is smooth jazz like...I like it a lot. I ended up buying it along with a few other discs.

sensibull
07-27-2006, 08:39 AM
Electronica has become such a huge genre that there are now dozens of subgenres. Zero 7 definitely falls on the pop/easy listening end of the spectrum. For something a little more edgy/groovy check out Massive Attack, Lamb, Sound Tribe Sector 9 (more organic, played on actual instruments), Peace Orchestra, or Nitin Sawhney (blends in a lot of world music).

p.s. anything by Thievery Co. is worth buying.

curtis
07-27-2006, 08:47 AM
Thanks!!

Might have to take a trip back to Barnes & Noble tonight.

curtis
07-30-2006, 08:55 AM
For something a little more edgy/groovy check out Massive Attack, Lamb, Sound Tribe Sector 9 (more organic, played on actual instruments), Peace Orchestra, or Nitin Sawhney (blends in a lot of world music).
OK.....listenned to some tracks of the above groups, but none were to my liking as much as Zero 7.

Anymore recommendations?

sensibull
07-31-2006, 04:37 AM
Ummm... Sade? Just kidding. You might try compilations with the word "Lounge" in them, which is a subgenre into which Zero 7 is often classified (I know of a couple like "Private Lounge" and "NY Lounge"). Oh, and definitely check out the French outfit Air (specifically "Moon Safari" and the Virgin Suicides soundtrack).

curtis
08-01-2006, 10:36 AM
OK OK......the edgy eletronica isn't my style, and I do have Sade's greatest hits somewhere...but please.....

I heard some of Air the other day and need to hear some more. I will check out the "lounge" classification.