PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again...

ClutchBrake
12-23-2003, 03:16 AM
FP system? I must be having a brainfart.

What kind of budget? Speakers, receiver, and subwoofer?

curtis
12-23-2003, 03:18 AM
FP = Front Projector

Max! good to see you again.

You have probably been over to the AV123 site as well. So it may turn out to be a we said, they said kind of of a thing.

Have you seen this thread?
http://www.ascendforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=58&whichpage=1

Other than that, I strongly suggest you listen to both.

-curtis

Maximus330I
12-23-2003, 03:42 PM
Curtis,
Nice to see you again! Thanks for the review. I was wondering how much the cmt-340's are? Do you know if Ascend has a package deal on 5 cmt-340's and the Hsu vtf-2? Also, my room is a bit small. It's roughly 15x11 feet or so. My 80" Fp is located in the room now. The Onkyo htib's are actually doing a great job. To tell you the truth, Im not sure why I feel the need to upgrade:) My gut is telling me that I should upgrade though, lol! Thanks again.

Maximus330I
12-23-2003, 03:46 PM
I was also wondering what the main difference is between the cbm-170's and the Cmt's? Would I be satisfied with, say, 4 cbm-170's and 1 cmt 340 for center duties or is getting 5 cmt 340's the way to go? Thanks again.

curtis
12-24-2003, 02:36 AM
Max,

It is basicly a bigger CBM-170....bigger playing, more bass extension, bigger soundstage.
http://www.ascendforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=72

If you look through the forum....there is a fair amount of thoughts about the CMT-340.

I just compared it with some others to the B&W CDM 7NT and Paradigm Studio 60v3....it can hold its own with them. Some thoughts are posted here:
http://www.ascendforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=199

What are you doing with your Aperion setup? Will it stay in that other room? I still feel the Ascends would be an upgrade in comparison...the CBM-170, and ofcourse the CMT-340.

In that smaller room...the 170's would be fine.

-curtis

Maximus330I
12-25-2003, 03:33 AM
Hey Curtis,
I just wrote out a long thread and it got erased! Damn! Anyways, I have a couple choices that I would like to run by you. The Aperions are in the family room with my plasma tv. My first choice, and the one I'm leaning toward, is to move them to my FP set up and buy new speakers for the family room. I have a Salamander cherry wood a/v cabinet which I absolutely adore and due to its color, I would prefer a speaker that had a cherry finish to it. My ultimate goal would be to get B&W Nautilus speakers someday. I visited my local B&W dealer and listened to the N802's and N805's with the HTM-1 center and it sounded and looked amazing. While my budget doesnt allow for those speakers now, I can afford a pair of the 805's and buy the other components piece by piece. I suppose I could charge the whole deal but then again, what fun would that be?:) I was almost set to order the ELT's from ACI due to their free shipping and $100 store credit before I started thinking about other speakers, such as the Ascends and Sapphires. I was all set to buy the elt's but I stopped and thought about if my upgrade desire would be quenched. I decided it wouldn't be. I'm sure the elt's or the ascends would both sound fabulous in my house but I would always be thinking about the B&W's. Curse the British for making a great sounding and sweet looking speaker!! Thus, I am in need of some advice once again from you. Btw, I also auditioned the Martin Logan Mosaic's and they sounded sweet. Damnit, I hate this! I cannot pull the trigger on anything because buyers remorse would set in! Hell, its already set in and I haven't bought a thing! Tell me if that makes sense?:) Thanks again Curtis.

curtis
12-25-2003, 08:24 AM
Max....

I totally understand the need for satisfying your own tastes and wants. I like to listen to speakers for this very reason, and I have come across some nice speakers that I would not mind having. But I keep coming back to the CMT-340, and for $500/pr, they are extremely satisfying. For me to upgrade to something that my ears will appreciate will cost 2-4 times as much money, and that simply is not worth it to me. The more I compare, the more satisfied I am.

I actually have a pair of ACI Sapphires on loan to me. Very nice speaker, very smooth, and I love the highs, but I get more satisfaction from my 340's. To bad you are not close...you are more than welcome to demo them, in fact, ACI is offering this demo pair at a 25% discount.

-curtis

Maximus330I
12-25-2003, 03:26 PM
Ahh, they are $500 a pair. Sounds reasonable to me. Curtis, if money wasn't an issue, would you go with the CBM's all the way around or the CMT's? Also, if you could be so kind as to tell me the reasons for your decision, I would appreciate that. TIA!

curtis
12-26-2003, 12:58 AM
How I wish money wasn't an issue......

It depends on the size of the room and placement. The CBM-170's are much easier to place or mount on a wall with ominmounts, because they are smaller. The CMT-340 is a larger/heavier speaker. In larger rooms, the CMT-340's, while also playing deeper, would be able to fill it with sound much nicer.

-curtis

Maximus330I
12-26-2003, 02:24 AM
Thanks Curtis. I will keep you updated on the decision. Also, do you know if the Ascends are on backorder? If I decide to order them, will they ship it asap? I wouldnt mind an in home trial.

curtis
12-26-2003, 02:35 AM
Not sure....I don't think they are on backorder like they were a few months ago. Best thing to do is to give them a call.

-curtis