PDA

View Full Version : Wiring 340's w/sub

stumacdo
07-17-2006, 11:31 AM
Hi all,

Just bit the bullet last week and ordered 340's Front & Center and 170 Rears. While waiting for them to be delivered, I want to start running some new, higher-gauge wires and get my AV system ready. Here's my question - on my older set-up, I had smaller cube speakers up front (cough-cough, ****) that had wiring from the speaker to the sub and then the sub to my HK AVR130. With the 340's, I presume that I can just wire directly from the speakers to the AVR and bypass wiring thru the sub ? I still have the sub connected to the AVR via preout, but being that space is a premium behind my AVR, I'm trying to hook everything up at once in preparation for my new Ascend's. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

curtis
07-17-2006, 11:49 AM
You got it right.

AVR to speakers.

Sub pre-out to sub.

Set the crossover on the sub itself to out or off. If it doesn't have a switch, set the crossover to the highest setting.

Use the crossover setup on the AVR. I would start at 80hz and move it up or down according to how it sounds to you.

stumacdo
07-18-2006, 08:26 AM
Curtis,

Thanks for the feedback - I'll follow your advice. My only question is your comment on setting the x-over on the actual sub. The x-over dial seems to go from 80 - 200. Are you saying I should set this to the lowest setting (i.e. 80 ?). Thanks again.

Mag_Neato
07-18-2006, 08:51 AM
What Curtis is saying is......

If the sub has a "Bypass", or "In/Out" switch, which sends the LFE signal to the sub bypassing the crossover.....use that.

If the sub does not have a bypass, set the crossover dial to it's "Highest" setting, in your case 200Hz. This keeps the crossover out of the way of the bass management of the AVR.

curtis
07-18-2006, 10:02 AM
yeah...what Mag said.

stumacdo
07-18-2006, 10:06 AM
What Curtis is saying is......

If the sub has a "Bypass", or "In/Out" switch, which sends the LFE signal to the sub bypassing the crossover.....use that.

If the sub does not have a bypass, set the crossover dial to it's "Highest" setting, in your case 200Hz. This keeps the crossover out of the way of the bass management of the AVR.

Thanks Ed & Curtis. My sub does not have any bypass/in-out switch, and instead only has the x-over dial and volume setting. I'll go ahead and set the x-over to 200 and set my HK AVR130 Front x-over to 80 and check the results. I plan on someday updating to a Hsu Sub to pair with the Ascend's, but want to try give the sub I've got a chance first. Thanks again for the quick assist.