PDA

View Full Version : Combinig Ascend with Paradigm

ClutchBrake
12-23-2003, 02:00 AM
If you are going to buy a pair of 170s I would do as you say and move the Minis to surround duty. Then I'd probably get a 340 for the center followed by whatever Ascends you wanted for surrounds.

Not being an Ascend or Paradigm owner you can take that with a grain of salt, I suppose. ;-)

Quinn
12-23-2003, 03:25 AM
I've got Atoms as my surrounds with a 340CC and 170s L/R. I personally, don't have a problem with the mix. That said, due to the room I have an extremely poor surround location(4ft. behind sofa and 10ft.up) and the Atoms were a WAF concession because they are white and smaller than the Mini-Monitors. Never tried the Paradigm 170CC with the Ascends.

I would say get a pair 170s to try first and findout if you like them. I personally place enough importance on the front sound stage that if you do keep the 170s(I'm cofident but what each person prefers is subjective)I'd get the 340CC to match and use the Atoms as surrounds. The money you get from selling the 350CC and the Mini-Monitor should more then cover the cost of the 340CC. With the extender program the 340CC should cost the same as if you bought it at the same time as the 170s. I don't remember the terms of the extender program it is either 30 or 45 days. Check with Ascend to see.

If you don't want to sell thru ebay check out audiogon.com

Edit: On futher thought the 350 and Atoms should sell for enough to buy the 340CC. So you can decided for yourself which is a better match of the two.

eemartin
12-25-2003, 10:13 PM
Will I hear a significant difference replacing the Mini Monitors with the 170?

Eduardo

Quinn
12-26-2003, 10:58 AM
I heard things like breaths taken, brushes on drums, the high-hat, fingers sliding along strings, and other details that I never heard with the Mini-Monitors. Also the clarity and soundstage improvement were immediately noticeable. Voices also sounded much more natural with the 170s. YMMV.