PDA

View Full Version : My wife is gonna kill me

curtis
12-22-2003, 02:37 AM
www.partexpress.com

You do not need to go with Monster.

Can you hide the sub underneath an end table? I am actually using my VTF-3 as an end table.

If you don't think you will live, can you leave the HT stuff to me in your will? [:D]

-curtis

azanon
12-22-2003, 02:47 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Can you hide the sub underneath an end table?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Wow - excellent idea. I'll tell the wife she can buy a new piece of furniture with legs tall enough to tower over it. I can't use it as an actual end table because the arm of my couch is a good foot taller than the sub and it'd be odd to sit stuff on it like that.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">If you don't think you will live, can you leave the HT stuff to me in your will?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
No cause i've already informed my lawyer I want my ascends burried with me if I die. :) I'm holding off my opinion on the Ascends for at least a couple weeks so i've had a chance to really experience them.

loraan
12-22-2003, 02:56 AM
Take with a grain of salt because I'm not 100% sure I'm right: the sub needs to be on a stable surface or the vibrations of the surface will absorb some of the energy, meaning that you won't get as much sound/vibration at your listening location.

100% sure I'm right: if you put the sub on or near something that will vibrate, the vibration noise will drive you nuts. Putting the sub behind the couch is generally considered to be a good idea because you will get maximum "bang" at your listening location (the couch) with minimum overall amplification. Only problem is that not everybody's couch is far enough off the wall to allow putting the sub there.

If you're going to do a long run, you might consider a balanced cable with XLR jacks, assuming that 1) your sub has XLR input connectors (likely) and 2) your amp/preamp has XLR outputs (less likely, unless it's pretty high-end).

curtis
12-22-2003, 03:00 AM
No XLR's on the VTF-2.

You might want to contact Dr. Hsu and ask for placement suggestions.

-curtis