PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Bass with no high level inputs on subs

Jonnyozero3
06-23-2006, 06:38 PM
I'm curious if I've thought of all the ways to hook up a pair of subs as a stereo L/R pair, but doing so without using high level inputs and outputs on the subs (as there aren't any on my UFW-10).

Here's what I've come up with:

1) Stereo L/R sub outputs after bass management in the receiver. Not a likely scenario, I don't think I've seen it except maybe in some uber expensive AVRs.

2) Y-Split L/R channels from AVR binding posts to Outlaw ICBM (buy used), and run the resulting stereo signals out to each applicable sub. Edit: Shoot, does the ICBM need a signal from L/R preouts instead of split off the amp-driven binding posts?

That's all I've got. Are these any where close to the truth? Any other ideas? I'm thinking about this because the UFW-10s are on sale, and I'm tempted to pick one up, even if I'm broke as apparently the Ebony finish is on the way to join Kim Jong Il's sanity on the planet Xiron.

BradJudy
06-23-2006, 07:13 PM
I'm curious if I've thought of all the ways to hook up a pair of subs as a stereo L/R pair, but doing so without using high level inputs and outputs on the subs (as there aren't any on my UFW-10).

Here's what I've come up with:

1) Stereo L/R sub outputs after bass management in the receiver. Not a likely scenario, I don't think I've seen it except maybe in some uber expensive AVRs.

2) Y-Split L/R channels from AVR binding posts to Outlaw ICBM (buy used), and run the resulting stereo signals out to each applicable sub. Edit: Shoot, does the ICBM need a signal from L/R preouts instead of split off the amp-driven binding posts?

That's all I've got. Are these any where close to the truth? Any other ideas? I'm thinking about this because the UFW-10s are on sale, and I'm tempted to pick one up, even if I'm broke as apparently the Ebony finish is on the way to join Kim Jong Il's sanity on the planet Xiron.

Yes, the ICBM requires line-level output. I have been considering picking up a used one and trying a 5.3 setup (also considering picking up a pair of ebony UFW-10s). Of course, my H/K AVR-520 has pre-outs and main-ins (much like having separate pre/pro and amp), so I can put it in the middle. Just run all speakers as 'large' and the ICBM will route the left, left rear and center to the left sub and route the right, right rear and center to the right sub (assuming you put it in stereo mode).

Of course, all of this would be very expensive, even with the UFW sale (2x$400 for UFW-10s + ~$200 for a ICBM + some cables = $1000+). I suspect that running the 170SE's with UFW-10s might sound pretty sweet.

Quinn
06-23-2006, 09:00 PM
That UFW-10 deal is a nice counter to the upcoming SVS sealed sub. I wish they had'em in black.

BradJudy
06-23-2006, 09:06 PM
That UFW-10 deal is a nice counter to the upcoming SVS sealed sub. I wish they had'em in black.

They do, it's just called a ULW-10. :)

Quinn
06-23-2006, 10:42 PM
They do, it's just called a ULW-10. :)

But, I can't use that one as I have an integrated amp and you have to step up to the UFW for line inputs.

Quinn
06-23-2006, 10:55 PM
I've got an M&K 80HZ high pass filter kicking around that I bought when I thought I was going to use it with the ULW, as the black would work in my room, but then discovered I need the UFW. I paid $50 off Agon. I can send to you and you could see if this works for you. If it does it buy it from me. Here is a link for it- http://www.mksound.com/pdf/discontinued/disc_electronics/Vf802ch.pdf

Dave maybe able to tell you if it can handle being after the amp or not.

Jonnyozero3
06-24-2006, 10:05 AM
I've got an M&K 80HZ high pass filter kicking around that I bought when I thought I was going to use it with the ULW, as the black would work in my room, but then discovered I need the UFW. I paid $50 off Agon. I can send to you and you could see if this works for you. If it does it buy it from me. Here is a link for it- http://www.mksound.com/pdf/discontinued/disc_electronics/Vf802ch.pdf

That's a great idea :) I may buy this little beasty from you. The only problem is, I have no way to check if it'll work with my setup because right now all I have for my living room setup is one UFW-10. I still need an amp, another UFW-10, cables and speakers, haha. :p

Hmmm....I might preemptively purchase it because I think it'll work, as long as my amp or whatever budget separates (?) i get will work with it.

Jonnyozero3
06-24-2006, 10:07 AM
Yes, the ICBM requires line-level output. I have been considering picking up a used one and trying a 5.3 setup (also considering picking up a pair of ebony UFW-10s). Of course, my H/K AVR-520 has pre-outs and main-ins (much like having separate pre/pro and amp), so I can put it in the middle. Just run all speakers as 'large' and the ICBM will route the left, left rear and center to the left sub and route the right, right rear and center to the right sub (assuming you put it in stereo mode).

Of course, all of this would be very expensive, even with the UFW sale (2x$400 for UFW-10s + ~$200 for a ICBM + some cables = $1000+). I suspect that running the 170SE's with UFW-10s might sound pretty sweet.

I had been toying with the idea of doing a 7.3 setup in my HT as well. I have the VTF-3HO Turbo, and I thought maybe adding some STF-1's or the new MBM-12 from HSU. I'm sure my UFW-10's would work well downstairs until I got the living room up and running. Hmmm I say again.

Lou-the-dog
06-24-2006, 07:54 PM
[QUOTE=Jonnyozero3 I have the VTF-3HO Turbo...[/QUOTE]

I wasn't aware that you had this. Did you give us a review or have you been holding out on us?? How 'bout the musicality of this sub...compared to your UFW?? I have no doubt that the Hsu hits waaaaay harder so don't even bother with that. With all this talk about adding yet another sub to the mix, Johnny, I fear that you have truly turned into a bass hound. :eek: :D

Randy

Jonnyozero3
06-25-2006, 03:56 PM
I wasn't aware that you had this. Did you give us a review or have you been holding out on us?? How 'bout the musicality of this sub...compared to your UFW?? I have no doubt that the Hsu hits waaaaay harder so don't even bother with that. With all this talk about adding yet another sub to the mix, Johnny, I fear that you have truly turned into a bass hound. :eek: :D

Randy

Hehe, yup I've got one. Serial number 14 :) I haven't posted any sort of review really, because with all the changes coming it's not really the finished product. That said, it's pretty damn amazing. I had no idea what I was missing down low - in room it is very strong down to about 15hz (where the HK HP Filter kicks in) and it rolls off quickly from there. My AVR-435 eq's it very well imho, so the in room response isn't too bad.

The 16hz pipe organ on the Hsu test disc is amazing to behold. I use that to surprise people :) Movies like War of the Worlds are incredible. My room is about 24x17x8, with two door openings and it gets pressurized pretty dang well. The darla scene sounded completely different on the HO vs the UFW...that extra extension is very, very great to have.

For music, I give it high marks as well. Quite excellent, but not as "fast" as the UFW. It is close though. I didn't do a direct A-B (tough to do b/c of re-running the HK eq), but my guesstimate is that if the HO is a 9/10 for music, the UFW is like a 9.3/10 or something like that. I might get around to it eventually, but not just yet.

I have had the driver popping problem, but that's a known issue and it only happens when I drive the sub too hard or when I accidentally bumped the gain knob over 9 o'clock (oopsy). I am seriously excited to send it back to get "upgraded/fixed/factory-spec'd" or whatever you want to call it.

And yeah, you're right...this sub has put blood in the water so to speak. Now that i have a taste of such bass, I want more :)

(now only if my wallet would agree)

Jonnyozero3
07-12-2006, 08:36 PM

Hey Quinn, thanks for the offer btw. I'm going to have to put almost all purchases on hold for a couple of months as I owe a former significant other a significant amount of moola. Hehe. I may inquire down the road though :)