PDA

View Full Version : Placing CBM-170 or HTM-200 on their sides as a centre?

texaspledge
06-23-2006, 10:32 AM
I am eagerly awaiting delivery of 340SE mains and am hoping i like them enough to purchase more. I figured since I will emphasize 2 channel music most these were the best speakers to dip my toe in so to speak to see if Ascend's are all they are cracked up to be :)

However, my current TV stand is 20.5 wide and cannot accomodate the 340 centre. I will check with the mains in case they 'just' fit.

So I am now toying with the idea of getting a 170 or 200 for a centre but it would need to lay on it's side as the space isn't tall enough to accomodate them upright. Is this recommended? Pro's/con's?

I'm actually not very worried about not having the 340 centre quality as the 170 at least seems to be a great performer and I love HT but personally am nowhere near as picky about my centre channel. I had the expensive, huge cc before and HT is just so much more forgiving than music it's not a worthwhile difference for me.

BradJudy
06-23-2006, 10:34 AM
Before the 340 existed, many of us ran 170s or 200s as centers. I used a 170 on its side as my center. Nothing wrong with doing that.