PDA

View Full Version : Buying my first real home theater

inboardshooter
06-09-2006, 03:58 PM
Hello. I have been looking for a new speaker system for a while now. I found this place and based on what people say about the speakers and the price these are definetly what I am going with. Right now I have a 5.1 Panasonic theater in a box deal. But now that I have a job I want a real home theater. I am only 15 years old (almost 16 :D). My room is quite small but we will be moving in a year or two. I am getting CMT's across the front and HTM-200's for rears. I know that is way overkill, the HTM's would probably be a more reasonable purchase for right now but we are moving, and I want some huge speakers. And for a sub it's gonna be a SVS 20-39PCplus. That is also way overkill too I know. I have been reading about speakers and stuff and kind of understand the frequency stuff. But I don't know what amps are and crossingover, if somebody has a good link to explain that would be nice. And for a receiver and HK435. And I plan on getting an XBox 360 to take full advantage of surround sound, and to use as a dvd player. I have plenty of cables for everything so that is not an issue, including the digital cable for the xbox. I do only want to spend around $2500, maybe a little more for shipping, but that's it. So is that all I need for what I want (please say yes). If not then I have to downgrade my subwoofer. :(
Thank you very much. I also love it that the owner of the company actually interacts with customers. That's how a business should be. Thank you.

Quinn
06-09-2006, 04:21 PM
I got the audio bug from my older bother who worked his butt off mowing lawns and any other odd job he could find at about your age. He had a great stereo at about 15.

The 340s will carry you thru your college years w/o a problem.

The amp is in your receiver you don't need another. A receiver is both amp and processor in one unit.

THe crossovers are the one in your amp that controls what part of the signal is sent at the speakers and what to the sub. Then in the speakers there is a crossover that control splitting the signal between the tweeter and the driver(s).

Quinn
06-09-2006, 05:37 PM
One suggestion is get a nice pair of headphones to keep the peace with your family, and future roomates/girlfriends, at times you need to turn it down. Ask BradJudy for headphone advise. I think Grados 80 are considered among the best under $100. I believe those will work with the headphone jack and later you can buy a dedicated headphone amp. You can learn more at headfi.com.

If you ever get down to Houston I'll be happy to go to the range with you!