PDA

View Full Version : Front speakers below a 2.35:1 projection screen

thirdkind
05-30-2006, 09:22 AM
After selling off my theater gear last year, including a front projector and a 7.1 setup consisting entirely of classic 340's, I'm now getting back into the hobby, having moved into a townhouse with a finished basement. Something I've always wanted to do but could never pull off due to space restrictions is a 2.35:1 projection screen. Now, I have the space, but I'm not sure how to go about selecting speakers and determining their placement.

My previous projection screen was 80" x 45" (16:9). I had a pair of 340's up front on pedestal stands with one speaker placed on either side of the screen. A 340 center was located below the screen and angled upwards. The Ascend center worked well in this setup, but the difference in height between the left/right speakers and the center speaker was often noticeable. The front soundstage was never as cohesive as I would've liked.

I'm currently debating between a 96" diagonal scope screen (95" x 38") and a 104" scope screen (96" x 41"). Whichever one I go with, the slightly shorter height will allow me to mount the screen a bit higher on the wall and place all three front speakers below the screen, tilted upward slightly toward the listening position. My other option is to continue with the traditional placement of one speaker on either side of the screen with the center below (or above) the screen. This would put the mains pretty far apart though because of the scope screen and my relatively close viewing position. I considered a perf screen with the speakers behind it, but I'd be spending more of my budget on the screen than I'd like, and I'd be sacrificing a fair amount of space to mount the screen away from the wall.

Assuming I go with the below-the-screen approach, what's my best option? Three 170's? A pair of 170's with a 340 center? Three 340's in a horizontal orientation? Also, should I go with the 340 center model, or should I stick with a standard 340 since it'll be mounted away from the wall?

curtis
05-30-2006, 08:28 PM
How big is the new room?

thirdkind
06-01-2006, 01:25 PM
I can't remember the exact measurements. I want to say 15' x 20'. I'll have to check when I get home tonight.