PDA

View Full Version : Question for Curtis and others

ClutchBrake
12-18-2003, 07:49 AM
Sounds like you are in the same boat as me. I too had the pleasure of hanging out with Cliff and family while auditioning. I also would rather have the 340s for the front and flushmounted 200s for the rear.

Hey, I didn't help you any but perhaps one of us will order before the other. Anyone is welcome at my house when the time comes.

curtis
12-18-2003, 08:07 AM
Hi guys,

The 340's are pretty much like you think..IMO. They also play deeper, and are slightly more forward, as well as the wider dispurtion.

The 200's are a more forward speaker than either of the two, and not as "full". Timbre wise they match fine...I used them for my surrounds before I bought the 340l/r's.

If you are going to start getting into multi-channel music, I think the smarter way to go is with the 170's. It is a better speaker and better matched music wise with the 340's. Obviously, the best choice for music would be to have five 170's or five 340's.

If your primary use is for HT or gaming, the 200's are more than fine.

-curtis

Cliff_L
12-23-2003, 01:28 AM
Hey guys...care to write up a short review of what you thought about the 170s you listened to? It's just nice to get opinions & thoughts from first time listeners. Or any comparisons to other speakers you've auditioned.

Btw, I really enjoyed having you guys over. It was fun to listen to a variety of music (aside from my own). Now I can't wait to hear the 340s once y'all get them in!

ClutchBrake
12-23-2003, 01:58 AM
I don't think I can really do a review quite yet. If I had listened to the speakers on the same day and with some of the same material I could certainly write something up. However, I listened to them weeks apart in vastly different rooms and with vastly different source material.

As soon as I sell my old house I plan to start on my HT purchases. The plan is to order Ascend and give everything some time to loosen up a bit. Then I plan to head to the local audio stores with my own material and start comparing. Though the rooms and receivers will be different I think I will be able to judge well enough to make an informed decision. I will certainly write about that.