PDA

View Full Version : Whatcha listening too?

curtis
05-20-2006, 09:55 AM
I like listening to new music. What are you guys listening to nowadays?

Here is this morning's playlist while I am doing a few things around the house:

In The Deep - Bird York - Wicked Little High
100 Years - Five for Fighting - Battle for Everything
Morph the Cat - Donald Fagen - Morph The Cat
American Girls - Counting Crows - Films About Ghosts
Shy that Way (w/ Jason Mraz) - Tristan Prettyman - twentythree
Please Please Please - Fiona Apple - Extraordinary Machine
Einstein on the Beach (For an Eggman) - Counting Crows - Films About Ghosts
Red Red Red - Fiona Apple - Extraordinary Machine
Big Yellow Taxi - Counting Crows - Films About Ghosts

sensibull
05-20-2006, 10:47 AM
Does every song on that Fiona Apple album have a triple-word title?

Just a random sampling from the 4-hour playlist lined up for today's BBQ:

Hymn - African Head Charge - Songs of Praise
Warning Shots - Theivery Corporation - The Cosmic Game
Dani California - Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium
Tongue and Groove - Steve Kimock Band - Eudemonic
Slide - Luna - Slide EP
Organism - Tommy Guerrero - Soul Food Taqueria
Tokyo - Sound Tribe Sector 9 - Artifact
History of Lovers - Calexico/Iron & Wine - In the Reins EP
New Slang - The Shins - Garden State OST

curtis
05-20-2006, 11:23 AM
Does every song on that Fiona Apple album have a triple-word title?
hehehe....no

Dani California - Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium

Thanks for reminding me...I want to check out this disc. One of my son's former little league teammate's father did recording engineering for did the "strings" on the disc.

bikeman
05-20-2006, 02:37 PM
Warning Shots - Theivery Corporation - The Cosmic Game
This is on my "to check out list." What's your take.

I'll post my new list in the morning.

David

curtis
05-20-2006, 05:45 PM
Picked up Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Stadium Arcadium" double CD this afternoon. I like it!

sensibull
05-20-2006, 06:25 PM
This is on my "to check out list." What's your take.

I'm not particularly steeped in the whole trip-hop/lounge scene, but I've loved everything Thievery Corporation has ever done. They blend every genre under the sun into a truly satisfying, truly modern hybrid. Cosmic Game is even more eclectic than their other discs, in that it has less of an overarching vibe/sound and more of a collection of singles, due in part to guest spots by The Flaming Lips, Perry Farrell, David Byrne, et al. That's not to say it doesn't flow, only the tunes are more distinguishable.

Picked up Red Hot Chili Peppers - "Stadium Arcadium" double CD this afternoon. I like it!

I kind of tuned out on them for a while (last disc I bought was One Hot Minute) but I'm digging this album. Kiedis has got to be the most melodic funk singer of all time. (OK, maybe Sly Stone edges him out ;)

curtis
05-20-2006, 08:38 PM
I kind of tuned out on them for a while (last disc I bought was One Hot Minute) but I'm digging this album. Kiedes has got to be the most melodic funk singer of all time. (OK, maybe Sly Stone edges him out ;)
I have not been a big Red Hot Chili Peppers fan in the past, but I had the chance to sample every track of this one at Barnes & Noble....liked it...and bought it.

bikeman
05-21-2006, 08:30 AM
I like listening to new music. What are you guys listening to nowadays?
Some of this sure ain't new but then again, neither am I. ;)

Ludwig van Beethoven "9 Symphonien" Berlin Philharmoniker (1963)
Had this in vinyl back in the day and just picked up the CD release. Highly recommended for Beethoven junkies.

Joe Zawinul & the Zawinul Syndicate "Vienna Nights"
The guy is in his 70's and is still turning out new ways to express his music. One of my favorite Jazz composers.

Al Di Meola "One Of These Nights" (DVD) 4.1
If guitar is your thing, this DVD is probably your thing. Lousy video, great audio.

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds "The Best of"

Live! Marcia Ball "Down the Road"
Best Marcia Ball CD yet cuz live is what she's all about. Uptempo Cajan Blues

"The Best of Jean-Luc Ponty" & "The Very Best of Jean-Luc Ponty" Two CD's from different times in his career. Great stuff.

Alison Krauss and Union Station "Runs Both Ways"
I think they need to change direction a bit. They're starting to sound the same from album to album. It's OK but if ya have some of their other stuff you can skip this one.

David

chasw98
05-24-2006, 06:51 AM
Does anyone listen to SACD's or DVD-A's? I have just upgraded to a Denon universal player and have found some excellent remixes for SACD and DVDA. It just seems that this genre never took off and isn't going to except for niche nerds.

BTW - Dire Straights Brothers in Arms is excellent in SACD on a set of 340SE's and 170SE's :)

Chuck

curtis
05-24-2006, 07:05 AM
I do enjoy SACD's and DVD-A's......

Chuck, you being somewhat of a bass junky with your DIY sonotube, I suggest Donald Fagen's new release "Morph the Cat" in DVD-A.

chasw98
05-24-2006, 07:33 AM
I do enjoy SACD's and DVD-A's......

Chuck, you being somewhat of a bass junky with your DIY sonotube, I suggest Donald Fagen's new release "Morph the Cat" in DVD-A.
Bass junky...... moi???? I have every album done by Steely Dan and plan on getting Morph also.

curtis
05-24-2006, 07:38 AM
Bass junky...... moi???? I have every album done by Steely Dan and plan on getting Morph also.
Plan in the "Everything Must Go" DVD-A as well! :)

chasw98
05-24-2006, 09:17 AM
I have that on regular CD already. But if it is worthwhile to have the other copy I will put it on the list. I find some music just isn't worth it to pay the extra for the SACD or DVDA. But I'm always looking for good titles in any genre.

curtis
05-24-2006, 11:08 AM
I have a combination of about 25 SACD and DVD-A titles....I really enjoy a good multichannel mix.

For me, the problem is finding the time to just sit and enjoy.

Eddie Horton
05-25-2006, 08:35 AM
For me, the problem is finding the time to just sit and enjoy.

Totally understand that one. This is the main reason I never got into multi-channel as much as I planned on. Between the wife, who isn't the type to sit and listen, the house, a full-time job, and finally going back to school to finish my accounting degree (about a year left...woohoo!!), there just isn't time to do serious listening. I work evening shift right now, so during the day when I'm here and studying or messing around the house I have music on a lot. But, mostly it's 2 channel with sub for background noise either by CD or XM stations over satellite. I keep telling myself that things will slow down eventually.....probably around retirement.

ebh
05-25-2006, 02:03 PM
new and not so new albums i'm listening to: (mostly indie, rock etc.)

destroyer, destroyer's rubies
belle and sebastian, the life persuit
neutral milk hotel, in the aeroplane over the sea
the band, the band
decemberists, picaresque
clap your hands say yeah, clap your hands say yeah
lyle lovett, pontiac
sufjan stevens, illinoise
wolf parade, apologies to the queen mary

there's lots of other things out there i've been wanting to get. i don't listen to any multi-channel music. i keep forgetting to put The Band's The Last Waltz DVD in now that i have my Ascends. need to do that soon. i would also note that not all of these sound great, but i blame the engineers rather than the speakers. lyle lovett's pontiac sounds especially good on my ascends as does the band, and destroyer, the decemberists and sufjan all sound good.

BGHD
05-26-2006, 09:05 PM
Bought a couple of the new Depeche Mode hybrid SACDs, Music for the Masses and Violator. Not the greatest MC ever, but still nice to have at least something "new" on SACD.

curtis
05-28-2006, 10:16 AM
So last night I ripped some CDs to FLAC and that is what I am listening to this morning on the Squeezebox2.

Donald Fagen - Morph the Cat
Steely Dan - Everything Must Go
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium

drewface
05-29-2006, 02:48 PM
i got the Angels & Airwaves debut album last week... been listening to that a bunch.

other artists i've been spinning recently include The Weakerthans, Tim Barry, Kane Hodder, and The Mighty Mighty Bosstones

curtis
06-17-2006, 07:41 AM
Woke up earlier than I had planned on this morning. Played softball last night...and I am sore....

Anways, I am listening to this mix on my SE's!!! WOW!! (FLAC via digital connection to my Squeezebox2)

When You're Older - Kate Earl - Fate is the Hunter
Chariot - Gavin DeGraw - Chariot
Better Together - Jack Johnson - In Between Dreams
Bubble Toes - Jack Johnson - Brushfire Fairytales
Come as You Are - Abair, Mindi - Come as You Are
Back Door Man - Sarah McLachlan - Solace
Dani California - Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium [Jupiter]
Passion - Ray Montford - Shed Your Skin
Be Be Your Love - Yamagata, Rachael - Happenstance
Loki Cat (Featuring Billy Corgan) - Jimmy Chamberlin Complex
Mary Shut The Garden Door - Donald Fagen - Morph The Cat
Celebrate - Ray Montford - Shed Your Skin
Things I Miss The Most-f - Steely Dan - Everything Must Go
Into the Fire - Sarah McLachlan - Solace
Especially In Michigan - Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium [Jupiter]
Chemical Party - Gavin DeGraw - Chariot
Morph The Cat - Donald Fagen - Morph The Cat

bikeman
06-17-2006, 10:29 AM
Woke up earlier than I had planned on this morning. Played softball last night...and I am sore....
Sore from softball? :eek:

Anways, I am listening to this mix on my SE's!!! WOW!! (FLAC via digital connection to my Squeezebox2)
What SE's? :confused:

David

curtis
06-17-2006, 10:42 AM
Picked up my upgrades yesterday after work! Very happy....still have not put up the surrounds. So I have 340SE's up front, 170SE's for side surrounds, and classic 170's for rear surrounds.

Yes...sore from softball. The legs have not done that kind of sprinting in a while, and my elbow on my non-throwing arm is sore for some reason.

drewface
06-21-2006, 02:24 PM
i just picked up the new dragonforce cd today, and it sounds absolutely phenomenal coming through my 170SE's. for anyone who has ever appreciated any sort of metal music, definately give this band a listen. my mom even likes it!

curtis
06-25-2006, 10:03 PM
Here's the mix I had on and off throughout the day....

Celebrate - Ray Montford - Shed Your Skin
When You're Older - Kate Earl - Fate is the Hunter
Be Be Your Love - Yamagata, Rachael - Happenstance
Better Together - Jack Johnson - In Between Dreams-F
Back Door Man - Sarah McLachlan - Solace
Feelin' The Same Way - Norah Jones - Come Away With Me
When The Heartache Ends - Rob Thomas - Something To Be
Mary Shut The Garden Door - Donald Fagen - Morph The Cat
Chariot - Gavin DeGraw - Chariot
Passion - Ray Montford - Shed Your Skin
Things I Miss The Most - Steely Dan - Everything Must Go
Loki Cat (Featuring Billy Corgan) - Jimmy Chamberlin Complex - Life Begins Again
I Can See Clearly Now - Cole, Holly - The Best of Holly Cole
Come as You Are - Abair, Mindi - Come as You Are
Bubble Toes - Jack Johnson - Brushfire Fairytales
Why Georgia - John Mayer - Room For Squares
Into the Fire - Sarah McLachlan - Solace
Morph The Cat - Donald Fagen - Morph The Cat
Chemical Party - Gavin DeGraw - Chariot
100 Years - Five For Fighting - The Battle For Everything
Speed of Sound - Coldplay - X&Y

Not a whole lot different than the one I posted a couple of weeks ago.

curtis
06-29-2006, 11:35 PM
Just sat on the sofa and listened to all of the Holly Cole's Greatest Hits CD......real good stuff!

Now time for bed!

mthoodmark
07-13-2006, 12:38 AM
Here's a my favs on the Ascend my 170SE Hsu STF1 2.1 system connected to dvd player via optical cable:

These melt your soul with the clarity of vocals, strings:

Sia: Colour the Small One
Andrew Bird: Mysterious Production of Eggs
Beck: Sea Change

These are my technical marvels that I've never heard accurately represented until I got my Ascends:

Radiohead: OK Computer, Kid A, Hail to the Thief, Amnesiac
Grandaddy: Sophtware Slump
Massive Attack: Mezzanine
Portishead: Dummy
Sigur Ros: Takk
Groove Armada: Vertigo

and in the Misc category:

Wynton Marsallis(don't know, it was a friends cd but the horns/piano were amazing)
Led Zeppelin: I

And if you have them connected to your computer and ESPECIALLY if you like motion graphics, this is one of my favorite clips(and others on the site):
Zoo Room Ranch (http://www.hornetinc.com/index.php?site=2&sub=1&project=172#)

And for some really good independant radio with a quality stream:
The Current: Minnesota Public Radio (http://minnesota.publicradio.org/radio/services/the_current/)

One issue. Previously I couldn't hear the difference in this material on my cds ripped to 192kbps mp3s in iTunes and now I can hear 'clipping' of the dynamics and it is very annoying. Not REALLY a problem when you really think about it though...

jf4828
08-25-2006, 07:57 PM
I didn't know how much I liked Ascend speakers until I put in a well recorded multichannel DVD. The variance in the quality of source material in movies and music is mind boggling to me? I have listened to some of the above recommendations since first reading this post and appreciate the doors that have been opened:)

Here are my personal favorites on the Ascends:

Cold Play - Live 2003 (DVD Concert) - Absolutely the best rock concert DVD I have heard to date. Defnitely my favorite thing to listen to on the Ascends. Especially tracks 9 and 13. This DTS mix makes me feel like I am front and center. The lead vocals are perfect! The instruments are deep in the soundstage. The mix is very seamless across the front and front to back. I am a novice, but I guarantee if you can stand the genre this is worth the listen. I have been to a Coldplay concert and my girlfriend and I had more fun watching this, don't ask! LOL

Marian McPartland - Live At Shanghai Jazz (CD) - This album sounds absolutely live. This 80 something year old NPR pianist gets down with various accompniments in a completely live setting. This album just has a great feel and generally improves my mood! I definitely recommend trying this one!

Cafe Cubana (CD from Starbucks) - This is a compilation of various cuban artists. While some of the recordings are better than others, the horn, piano and bongos throughout this CD make you feel like you are a part of the music. Infact this is a fun album to beat along with on a pair of bongos if you own some:)

Eagles - Hell Freezes Over (DTS CD and DVD Concert) - This is one of the cleanest recordings I have ever heard. It's so clean that it almost sounds like something is missing. Like everyone else, I think this is a very high quality cut and pairs very well with the ascends. At my typical settings I find that the lead singer is a bit too strong in the center. Most DTS concerts I have tried have the opposite effect.

I have listened to tons of DVD concerts from Netflix. There are none that stand out as excellent other than those mentioned. The jazz/classical genere tends to be recorded much better than your typical rock concert. For instance, Piano Grand Masters is recorded really well when compared to Red Hot Chilli Peppers or Green Day. I guess the environment has something to do with this? I look forward to seeing more recommendations. Regards!

muzz
12-30-2006, 06:20 AM
Supertramp- Breakfast in America !!

Gov
12-30-2006, 08:48 AM
This week it has been:

Al Di Meola - "One of these nights" DVD - WOW!!! He is my favorite Jazz gutiarist

Chieli Minucci - "A night with Chieli and Special Efx" DVD - This one is also very good!!

If you like guitar talent, these two are definately two of the best out there!!

muzz
12-30-2006, 08:54 AM
I have 2 DiMeola cds.
I agree, he is an awesome player.
I'd like to hear him play alongside jaco pastorius, I wonder if they've played together?

bikeman
12-30-2006, 09:20 AM
Al Di Meola - "One of these nights" DVD - WOW!!! He is my favorite Jazz gutiarist
One of my favorite DVD's. Highly recommended.

Chieli Minucci - "A night with Chieli and Special Efx" DVD - This one is also very good!!
I'll check this out. Thanks for the tip.

If you like guitar talent, these two are definately two of the best out there!!
My wife is lead singer in a christian rock band. I'm not a fan of this particular genre but there is a guitarist who can be found in the christian section of some music stores (i.e. Borders) who has some outstanding acoustic CD's to his credit. His name is Phil Keaggy and his CD, "Freehand" is one I highly recommend.

David

Gov
12-30-2006, 01:04 PM
My wife is lead singer in a christian rock band. I'm not a fan of this particular genre but there is a guitarist who can be found in the christian section of some music stores (i.e. Borders) who has some outstanding acoustic CD's to his credit. His name is Phil Keaggy and his CD, "Freehand" is one I highly recommend.

Thanks!! I'll check this one out :D

Gov
12-30-2006, 01:08 PM
I have 2 DiMeola cds.
I agree, he is an awesome player.
I'd like to hear him play alongside jaco pastorius, I wonder if they've played together?

I never heard of Jaco Pastorius. I'll have to ckeck him out too, thanx!

muzz
12-30-2006, 02:02 PM
I just looked up Jacos Discography, he DOES play on an Al DiMeola album.
Figures, I don't have this album... YET!!!
I gotta get me some Jaco, a buddy of mine turned me on to him, the guy is a fantastic bass player.
Quote- from Amazon:

Al DiMeola - Land of the Midnight Sun

Release Date: 1976
Label: Columbia

Al DiMeola's first solo album after a successful run with Return to Forever came the same year as Jaco's solo debut. Jaco appears on one track, trading licks with DiMeola every step of the way.

Jaco appears on one track:

5. Suite: Golden Dawn (DiMeola) 9:47

1. Morning Fire (1:15)
2. Calmer of the Tempests (1:11)
3. From Ocean to the Clouds (8:38)

muzz
01-03-2007, 12:08 PM
Barry White , smoooooooooth

Gov
01-05-2007, 06:08 AM
Ordered Jaco's self titled album from 1976 (I think) off Ebay! Got a good deal on it.

muzz
01-05-2007, 06:47 AM
Thats one of the 2 albums my buddy has, if you like good music, with great talent, you'll love it.
I know I did, and I will also get that when I can get to a GOOD Music store.
Yes it was 1976.

LMK what ya think, that guy had, and played with, some serious talent.

Gov
01-05-2007, 09:52 AM
Thats one of the 2 albums my buddy has, if you like good music, with great talent, you'll love it.
I know I did, and I will also get that when I can get to a GOOD Music store.
Yes it was 1976.

LMK what ya think, that guy had, and played with, some serious talent.

Will do! Thanks for suggesting him!

muzz
01-05-2007, 04:38 PM
NP
I really am interested in what you think, I can't believe I don't have any of his stuff MYSELF, cuz after hearing him on my friends Klipsch HeresyII's I was blown away with his talent(when he got those, we listened all the time, I had a fairly crappy system then)..
I was a drummer for a good while, so I studied basslines, and he rocks!!

I hadn't been listening to music seriously for a few years, I guess I was just a bit burnt out, I dunno( I used to either be listening or playing music pretty much as much as I could), and when I started listening ALOT again(about 1 1/2-2 weeks B4 I bought the Ascends), I realized my speakers were subpar for music......

Thats why I'm here!!

I've been spending ALOT of time listening again, almost constantly, much to the chagrin of my SO.
Creed right NOW!!

I need to get my butt to a GOOD music store!!!

Gov
01-05-2007, 06:02 PM
I have totally re-discovered music again since purchasing my Ascends last January. They continue to amaze me and I find myself listening to more and more music.
I went to Amazon and listen to some of the cuts off the solo Jaco album and it sound pretty impressive. After the CD arrives, I will give a listen, and let you know.

Jonnyozero3
01-05-2007, 06:36 PM
been listening to a lot of Social Distortion. Does that make me young and angry? Naw. Call it my quarter-life crisis music :p

curtis
01-06-2007, 09:27 PM
As I have said before, one of the benefits of allowing others over to hear my Ascends is getting to hear music that they enjoy.

A fellow Ascend owner recently gave me a listen to Eddie Palmieri's "Listen Here!" disc. Listening to it right now....sounds great!

http://www.eddiepalmierimusic.com/newreleases_epalmieri.htm

bikeman
01-07-2007, 05:54 AM
A fellow Ascend owner recently gave me a listen to Eddie Palmieri's "Listen Here!" disc. Listening to it right now....sounds great!
http://www.eddiepalmierimusic.com/newreleases_epalmieri.htm
Funny you should mention this disc. It's on top of my buy list. Definitely worth checking out.

David

Gov
01-07-2007, 11:28 AM
I just looked up Jacos Discography, he DOES play on an Al DiMeola album.
Figures, I don't have this album... YET!!!
I gotta get me some Jaco, a buddy of mine turned me on to him, the guy is a fantastic bass player.
Quote- from Amazon:

Al DiMeola - Land of the Midnight Sun

Release Date: 1976
Label: Columbia

Al DiMeola's first solo album after a successful run with Return to Forever came the same year as Jaco's solo debut. Jaco appears on one track, trading licks with DiMeola every step of the way.

Jaco appears on one track:

5. Suite: Golden Dawn (DiMeola) 9:47

1. Morning Fire (1:15)
2. Calmer of the Tempests (1:11)
3. From Ocean to the Clouds (8:38)

I just got this CD yesturday and (track 5 Suite: Golden Dawn) is FREAKING UNREAL!!! These guys were seriously jamming like there was no tomorrow!!! Di Meola and Pastorius were obviously the stand outs, but Alphonse Mouzon and Mingo Lewis on drums and percussion, and Barry Miles on the Electric Piano and Mini-Moog were no slouch either!!!
Its too bad Di Meola and Pastorius did not play anything else together.

HIGHLY Recommended!!!!

BTW, I also got Strunz & Farah "Americas" and if you like the sound of spanish acoustic guitar stuff, you will love these guys. They are really good!

muzz
01-07-2007, 01:33 PM
NICE!!

I told ya Jaco rocked, he was without a doubt, one of the least known/best talents out there.

It's too bad he's gone.. :(

muzz
01-12-2007, 06:24 PM
Supertramp Classics!!
Their sound is very clean, it helps that they can actually play :)

Dream Theater was rocking out as well, and THEY can really, REALLY play!!! :eek: :D

tjennings
01-15-2007, 08:25 PM
I just threw on Tango In the Night as I've always loved that album - and WOW, did it sound great on the 340 SE's! I had them cranked up nicely and they sure sounded fantastic. :D

buddhadas
01-16-2007, 03:10 PM
Yusuf "an other cup of coffee"

cat may have changed his name, but this is a GREAT Cat Stevens cd!

I am continually blown away at how good these ascends sound.

Jim

muzz
01-16-2007, 03:44 PM
Yusuf "an other cup of coffee"

cat may have changed his name, but this is a GREAT Cat Stevens cd!

I am continually blown away at how good these ascends sound.

Jim

Your not alone!!!
:D

Gov
01-20-2007, 08:16 AM
Well I have had the Jaco CD for sometime now and have listened to it a few times. I don't know why I have not heard of him before. This guy can really really jam. I love the sound of that 70's funky jazz stuff. I will be looking for more of his solo stuff and when he was with Weather Report too.

muzz
01-20-2007, 03:50 PM
Watching AC/DC live on DVD!!

curtis
01-27-2007, 10:39 AM
Made breakfast for the kids....

After that, sat down with the paper and listened to

Norah Jones - Come Away with Me

and something very nice from Chesky Records, Audiophile Vocal Recordings
http://chesky.com/core/details.cfm?productcode=SACD323&category=1

curtis
02-21-2007, 04:08 PM
No one has posted here in a while....so I thought I would post what I have been listening to lately in my heavy rotation:

Rebecca Pidgeon - Retrospective
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Jeff Buckley - Sketches for My Sweetheart the Drunk(disc 1)
Dave Matthews Band - Crash
Chesky Records 10 Best

drewface
02-21-2007, 05:46 PM
here's my recent rotation:

Hum - You'd Prefer an Astronaut
Green Day - Dookie
Foo Fighters - The Colour and the Shape
Tim Barry - Rivanna Junction

and then a bunch of random cds i throw on for a quick spin-through...

Gov
02-21-2007, 06:08 PM
Marilyn Scott
Dave Koz
Anita Baker
Chris Botti
OLD Van Halen!!!

BTW, I have be picking up the older Van Halen stuff on the remaster CD's and a lot of it sounds very bright, especially "Woman and Children First" Anyone else notice this?

MichaelG
02-21-2007, 07:43 PM
My current DVD concert favorites:
Josh Groban: Live at the Greek
Michael Buble: Caught in the Act
Dixie Chicks: Live from the Kodak
Keith Urban:Livin Right Now
Alison Krauss & Union Station Live
Diana Krall: Live in Paris
Norah Jones: The Handsome Band Live 2004
Tony Bennett: An American Classic

In my Home CD player:
Diana Krall When I Look in your eyes SACD
Vince Gill These Days (Disc 2 & 3)
Josh Groban: Awake
Keith Urban: Love, Pain and the whole crazy thing

In my Truck CD Player are the latest CDs for:
Carey Underwood
Kelly Pickler
Sugerland
Alan Jackson
Rascal Flatts

I am a wannabe cowboy but it is interesting that I now listen to more Jazz and many different types of artists since I bought my ascends!

Michael

tjennings
03-03-2007, 01:29 PM
Give KTA a listen - fantastic!

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/killthealarm

Just about every song is a winner.

Kingrsl
03-20-2007, 09:07 AM
I picked up Diana Krall's Live in Paris CD yesterday. Excellent recording! It sounds incredible on my Ascends. Are most of you hard-core 2-channel audio types? I find the Prologic Music setting on my Sony receiver provides a better sound experience than just 2.1 playback.

drewface
03-20-2007, 10:41 AM
I picked up Diana Krall's Live in Paris CD yesterday. Excellent recording! It sounds incredible on my Ascends. Are most of you hard-core 2-channel audio types? I find the Prologic Music setting on my Sony receiver provides a better sound experience than just 2.1 playback.i prefer the 7 channel stereo option on my Yamaha receiver for music.

my recent rotation includes lots of the following three:

Presidents of the U.S.A. - self-titled
Dragonforce - Inhuman Rampage
The Weakerthans - Reconstruction Site

as well as others that get switched out after a listen or two.

chas
03-20-2007, 11:28 AM
Drewface:

Do you have the original or remastered President's CD?

drewface
03-20-2007, 02:05 PM
original

edtandy
04-03-2007, 08:13 PM
My recent list:

Grateful Dead - Infrared Roses
The Ocean Blue - Cerulean
Robert Cray - I Was Warned
Tina Turner - Greatest Hits (Steamy Windows, wow!)
Future Sounds of Jazz - Vol 5.
The Magic Numbers - The Magic Numbers
Jack Johnson - In Between Dreams
Zero 7 - Another Late Night

MichaelG
04-07-2007, 07:22 PM
Are most of you hard-core 2-channel audio types? I find the Prologic Music setting on my Sony receiver provides a better sound experience than just 2.1 playback.

Kingrs, I have a Sony Receiver too and used to listen to my regular CD's in multi channel. Once I got my speaker placement and receiver set up correctly I found I prefered the soundstage from 2.1 better than Prologic Music. On my STR-DE998, I set it to AFD Auto and it gives me great 2.1

Michael

muzz
06-12-2007, 03:16 PM
She's got the big guns!!

tanaka
06-13-2007, 07:12 AM
If you love great pure female vocals:

Izzy
Katherine Jenkins
Anna netrebko
Haley westenra
Leigh nash
Aselin Debison
All Angels

For something different but enormously talented:
Universal Hallpass

For dvd concerts you have to check out Haley westenras concert dvd. It looks great and sounds great too.( to my ears anyway )

Ecks
06-20-2007, 09:54 PM
rcvd confrimation for shipping of my Sierras L/C/R with 2 170SE as rears
Does anyone know how long UPS takes to get from CA to NYC?

making the first playlist to get through the daze of the wait.
first song will be
Clapton - Stepping Oout - from John Mayall's Bluesbreakers w/Eric Clapton
track 11 (CD)

First albums (order and list is still not final//but right now this is it)
Beggars Banquet-Stones (SACD)
Time Out -Bruebeck/Desmond (SACD)
James Hunter - James Hunter(CD)
Blue Trane - John Colstrane (SACD)
Let It Bleed - Stones (SACD)
Man of the World-Reflections on Peter Green (SACD)

Video:
Concert for George
Crossroads Festival
John Mayall's 70 birthday Concert

Movies:
Riddick
Sixth Dimension
Lord of the Rings III
Baby Snakes
Van Helsing
HellBoy

my system
Ascend Acoustic speakers (listed above)
Denon 987 AVR
Oppo 871 DVD
Pioneer 1140-HD Plasma Display

ah, the waiting is the hardest part...
L8er
FSM

debo
06-21-2007, 05:15 AM
Your UPS ship notification shows a scheduled delivery date, if it doesn't click on the (click here) link on the bottom of the notice.

Ecks
06-21-2007, 05:53 AM
Debo,

Thank you. Saw it. Wanted to see if anyone knew what it should take
as I have had a couple of experiences this past 18 months of 1-2 days
difference between ETA and actual delivery. And I have to be here as UPS only drops off (no one to accept it except me) and we live in a 5-story walk-up, yup -- on the top floor.....

Had to dwell on something other than watching the clock...
Ah, now I can go on-line and purchase some new SACD/DVD-A for the
second cycle of listening. The first posted list will probably take
all my personal time during the burn in period.
Then one more play of the list and then TA DA! (w/trumpet flare)
the second group of tunes gets their turn.

And then, finally I will play the Cream DVD of the Albert Hall reunion.
I was at the Garden last show (actually at both the old&new MSGarden events::the Good-Bye in '68 and the Reunion in 2005) and I want to hear that set a few more times (OK, perhaps more than a few).

gotta go:::::Heigh Ho, Heigh Ho, its off to .....

L8er
FSM

curtis
07-01-2007, 10:51 AM
Before I take the dog out for a walk.....

Ray LaMontagne - Trouble

Gov
07-01-2007, 06:07 PM
Rush "Snakes and Arrows" 5.1 DD DVD MVI. Wish it was DVD-A, but the DD 5.1 ain't to bad :D

bdfin
07-01-2007, 06:25 PM
I guess I'm going to have to get that S/A dvd. I've been in a real heavy rock place lately not sure why as I usually am more blues oriented or what would be the ever widening classification of "pop". I hate that term, but alot of good soft rock is put in there. However as I said its prog rock time and Porcupine Tree is this evenings fare.

Gov
07-02-2007, 06:36 PM
Well I have listen to the S&A DVD a lot more and it is OK as far as SQ is concerned. Bass seems too heavy and I can hear some clipping at times, probably compression too :eek: The good news is that the material is awesome, but the SQ is OK. Its SQ is better than "Vapor Trails" tho :D

curtis
08-18-2007, 11:13 AM
Just got home from doing some golfing.....just a couple of hours, par-course, 9 holes, plus breakfast.....

Decided to play something I have not played in a while, and never on the Sierras...Lyle Lovett "Joshua Judges Ruth".

Also, got Joan Osborne "Breakfast in Bed".

Great stuff!

Ecks
08-20-2007, 10:05 AM
Dear Ascend Community,

After lurking, and then buying a set of Sierras (L/C/R) in June, here are the CDs (in alpha order) that I have listened to the most during the past 3 months:

Chet Baker - in New York
Ray Charles - Genius Loves Company
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
James Hunter - People Gonna Talk
Howlin' Wolf - London Sessions
Frank Zappa - Shut Up and Play Yer Guitar

But as the high holy day of September 19 draws nearer, I must devote my time to my Pastafari Ministry.

May you be touched by his noodily appendage.

Arrrrrrrrgh........

Ecks
RAmen

curtis
08-24-2007, 11:36 PM
Some music that I have been listening to and would like to recommend:

The White Stripes - Icky Thump
Joan Osborne - Breakfast in Bed
Colbie Caillat - Coco

And I saw these recommended on Audio Circle as explore classical music, from Yarlung Records http://www.yarlungrecords.com/:
David Fung - The Piano/Evening Sessions
Janaki String Trio - debut

And for you TV watchers...

"Live from Abbey Road" on the Sundance Channel or Universal HD.
http://www.livefromabbeyroad.com/
http://www.sundancechannel.com/livefromabbeyroad/

jvillas
08-26-2007, 03:00 PM
Finally reissued Travveling Wilburys 2 cd, 1dvd set, plus bonus tracks.
I have been waiting for this for awhile, and it is finally here. My original copies are in bad shape. All the used copies I have seen have been outragously priced.

It is still hard for me to believe that Roy Orbison, and George Harrison are no longer with us. At least we still have there fabulous music. Thanks Roy,and George.

Gin262
08-30-2007, 11:05 AM
Here we go, in no particular order (warning, my tastes are all over the place):

The White Stripes - Icky Thump - Just to second Curtis's pick...
Explosions in the Sky - All of a Sudden I Miss Everyone
Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha - My favorite of '07 so far...
Spoon - Ga Ga Ga ...
Patrick Wolf - The Magic Position
Sean Hayes - Flowering Spade
Modest Mouse - We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank
Arcade Fire - Neon Bible

Blake

curtis
09-09-2007, 06:34 PM
So this weekend the kids had slumber parties, b-day parties, and play-dates to attend.....so that means Dad had some free time!

So...I got to listen to some music!

Ramsey Lewis - Ivory Pyramid
Paulo Nutini - These Streets
James Morrison - Undiscovered
The Zutons - Tired of Hanging Around
Nerina Pallot - Fires

And a compilation album of flamenco guitar work:
Gypsy Soul: New Flamenco

Gov
09-09-2007, 08:50 PM
Saw Rush last night here in town and man what a great show! I expected as much. Anyway, I spent the majority of my day listening to all their older material.........Hemispheres, Farewell to kings, 2112 and Permanent Waves. Man I wish these were available in multi-channel :mad:

muzz
09-09-2007, 10:07 PM
Saw Rush last night here in town and man what a great show! I expected as much. Anyway, I spent the majority of my day listening to all their older material.........Hemispheres, Farewell to kings, 2112 and Permanent Waves. Man I wish these were available in multi-channel :mad:

I'd bet ya had a blast!!