PDA

View Full Version : HDMI Switcher

rtthinker
05-16-2006, 11:59 AM
Hi everyone
I have one HDMI slot on my TV. Can I use one of those HDMI Switchers to connect my STB and my dvd player to the TV using HDMI? Is this the purpose of these switches?
Thanks
Rtthinker

BradJudy
05-16-2006, 01:45 PM
Yep, that's what those switchers are for.

rtthinker
05-16-2006, 01:51 PM
Thanks for the help.
This is a great forum. You guys & gals have been a great help.
Rtthinker.

Lee Bailey
05-17-2006, 09:10 AM
Just how much do these HDMI switchers cost?

chasw98
05-19-2006, 05:05 AM
BEWARE of the HDCP Gods! I have used the monoprice 4 X 1 switcher and now have the monoprice 5 X 1 switcher. I am switching a Directv receiver, HTPC with DVI output, Accurian STB OTA HDTV tuner, and a Denon 1920 DVD player. The first switcher (4 X 1) worked well except the OTA HDTV Tuner would get horizontal lines throughout the picture. After I upgraded to the 5 X 1 switcher the problem was solved and new problems appeared. The HDMI output of my Denon DVD 1920 is incompatible with the switcher. It will not pass a signal through the switcher. The last alternative I am looking at is a Gefen 4 X 1 unit, except they cost close to $400.00. The bottom line is that HDMI and HDCP are not fully working with everything being manufactured in the world right now. Cable STB's are notorious for not working with an HDMI switcher of any kind, either built into a receiver or stand alone. Make sure you can return whatever you buy in case you have problems. here is a link to a discussion regarding these units on AVS http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=7220932#post7220932. The monoprice units are very reasonably priced and they will take it back if it doesn't meet your needs.

Chuck

Oh, yeah, they cost about $140.00 shipped.

azanon
07-04-2006, 06:31 PM
Hi everyone
I have one HDMI slot on my TV. Can I use one of those HDMI Switchers to connect my STB and my dvd player to the TV using HDMI? Is this the purpose of these switches?
Thanks
Rtthinker

Apparently, i'm one of the lucky ones because my new 40" LCD looks the same using my component cables as my HDMI cable. i only have one HDMI port, and that'll probably eventually end up going to a HD DVD or Blue-ray player (unless they make one of those that also use component) since i believe the ones that are out only use HDMI.

You have at least compared the HDMI to the component on your STB right?

I look at these various connections in a more general sense; they either support 720p/1080i or they dont. The only grey for most people here is probably in their mind. "But its all digital!" means nothing to me if you couldnt tell the difference in a blind test.

I believe the blue-ray supports 1080p, and that might be why the HDMI is mandatory (bandwidth requirements). But i avoided the 1080p LCDs for now because I've read of lots of problems with them (primarily associated with the TV's simply being on the bleeding-edge and not playing nice with the current HD resolutions).

Azanon

BradJudy
07-04-2006, 07:03 PM
and that'll probably eventually end up going to a HD DVD or Blue-ray player (unless they make one of those that also use component) since i believe the ones that are out only use HDMI.

The only available HD-DVD player does output in component as long as the disc is not flagged to prevent it, I expect future HD-DVD players to also be this way. At the moment, none of the movie companies are preventing the movies from being output via component. I think they realized that the early adopters for HD-DVD are the same people who were early adopters of HDTV and thus might not have a display capable of using HDMI. Alienating their only audience at launch would have doomed critical early adoption.

Of course, no one is preventing them from turning that flag on once the technology gets rolling and adoption is broader, but I think you'll be safe buying movies for the first year or two and using component.