PDA

View Full Version : Calibration

rtthinker
05-15-2006, 08:34 AM
Hello group
Looking for info on calibration for my new HDTV. I have read numerous reviews and visited many sites and what they are saying is that you should get an ISF Technician to set up your TV. They say that you can do it yourself, with set up disks, but you must be careful. They have me so confused and scared that I'm almost afraid to plug in my new set.
Is it necessary to hire a tech for set up or can I do it myself? Cost is $400.00 to $500.00, not cheap. I checked and there are no ISF Technicians in my area so what am I to do? :(
Help please and thanks in advance for any info.
Rtthinker

Lee Bailey
05-15-2006, 09:02 AM
First of all, what area are you in? Many calibrators make 'tours' through their part of the country. One site that has quite a few ISF calibrators on it is the Home Theater Spot (http://www.hometheaterspot.com/) . You can always get their homepages and contact them via email.

You other options are as follows:
If you have any THX encoded movies, there is always a THX optimzer menu. It can get you in the ballpark. I would recommend if you to that route that you go to the THX Site (http://www.thx.com) and order the THX filter glasses (you need them for setting color and tint.)

Look over at amazon.com for one of the following DVDs:
Avia Guide to Home Theater
Digital Video Essentials (DVE)
Sound and Vision Home Theater Tuneup
HDTV Calibration Wizard DVD

The first 3 DVDs include color filters.

debo
05-15-2006, 10:31 AM
I have used both Avia and Digital Video Essentials (DVE), IMO DVE is superior in their reference materials to calibrate a HDTV. It isn't the easiest DVD to navagate thru but if you play it from the begining you will be fine. Just record your video settings before you start (contrast,brightness,color), this way you can always return to the factory settings.

I have done five different HDTV's and have gotten fantasic results.

Jeff

rtthinker
05-15-2006, 12:48 PM
Lee
I live in Rehoboth Beach De. I have checked on line for touring calibrators but none seem to be in my area. I guess I could use a disk but from I have read a pro is the best way to go. Thanks for the response.
Rtthinker