PDA

View Full Version : Are Ascends for me?

gevorg
04-06-2006, 12:21 AM
Hi all,

I'm considering to get a pair of Ascend 170SEs for music listening. I don't know if they are for me, so I'm hoping to figure it out from the answers/comments to these questions.

a) Are Ascend 170SEs a major step-up from Athena AS-B1s for a casual listener (not audiophile) in terms of overall presentation?

b) Will they sound their best at moderate volume levels? I live in an apartment, so I will never be able to crank them up. This is why I don't use a sub.

c) What amplification technology works best with Ascends? Solid state, digital, or tube?

d) What advantage will 340SEs bring over 170SEs for my case/system?

I appreciate any answers/suggetions/comments. Thank You!!

Jacob C
04-06-2006, 03:51 AM
You should get your post moved to the speakers forum.

a. yes
b. they actually sounds great at any level if they are on a good amp.
c. this is a matter of preference but there are a lot of people who like the panasonic xr55 (digital amps). Its cheap and sounds great.
d. higher sensitivity, they are more dynamic and better suited to larger rooms.
e. not me

I would order them and listen to them or find someone in your area that has them. I think you will be amazed at what you get for the price.

jermy4
04-06-2006, 09:01 AM
I'm using a pair of classic 170s for the same use. I was using Athena B2s before the Ascends and the difference between them is significant.

Of course they sound good when played loud but they are still impressive at moderate volumes.

I'm using a HK-3480 that I got from the HK ebay store. It is the perfect receiver for my use and really makes the Ascend's sing.

MikeAndAnnie
04-06-2006, 10:03 AM
b) Will they sound their best at moderate volume levels? I live in an apartment, so I will never be able to crank them up. This is why I don't use a sub.

They will sound great at moderate volumes. Very detailed.
I think the lack of a sub for the 170se's may be a problem however.
But subs can be played at moderate levels too.

jermy4
04-06-2006, 10:20 AM
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that. You really should get a good sub and get the phase and delays set right. You will be amazed at the results. The STF1 or STF2 would probably work very well for your small room.

gevorg
04-06-2006, 10:22 PM
Thanks for the replies!

I don't really need a receiver with its excess of various connections and DSP effects. I need this only for stereo music, so all the funds should go to the dedicated amplification. Are Ascends good enough with receivers and don't really benefit much from seperate amplifers? Anybody tried Ascends with tube amps?

Also, I will be will fine without a sub, since this setup is not for home theater, and I don't want to add another crossover to the sound path.

Lou-the-dog
04-07-2006, 05:08 AM
Anybody tried Ascends with tube amps.

Yes, I have a Melody SP3 38 WPC integrated tube amp driving 340 Classics. It has all the power you'll ever need. Excellent sounding unit.

Randy