PDA

View Full Version : Ascend Logo Contest!

curtis
12-11-2003, 07:13 AM
For some fun, whoever wants to design a logo, send them to me, I will put them on my website, and make sure Dave gets a look at them. Doubt he is looking to change though.

-curtis

Ross
12-11-2003, 07:59 AM
I have to agree. It brings me back to the San Fernando Valley of the mid 70's, and looks like a sticker I would've gotten (at Val Surf) to put on my skateboard...

davef
12-11-2003, 08:14 AM
I agree completely. Time for a contest for forum members only. Send me your logos. If I like one and decide to use if for Ascend, the lucky winner wins their choice of a pair of CBM-170s or a CMT-340 center. The logo should be simple but to the point. Design your logos so they would look good on a speaker grille.

Legal stuff: All submitted logos become the full property of Ascend Acoustics, Inc.

Good Luck and send your graphic files to me, davef@ascendacoustics.com

Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
www.ascendacoustics.com

curtis
12-11-2003, 08:20 AM
Guess I was wrong!

Hmmmmm....who do I know that is a graphic artist....

-curtis

Gregisme
12-11-2003, 09:00 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by X52

<font face="Impact"></font id="Impact">I was just wandering the opinios of those out there concerning the Ascend grafic. I really dislike it. It reminds me of a 80's rock band like "Slayer" or a name of a rockin' guitar company[}:)].

JH<font size="6"></font id="size6"><font color="red"></font id="red">
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Lol! I know what you mean, it could stand to be improved.

I would like to see the contest modified so that existing owners are excluded from participating, as they already have their speakers.

(well.. that and maybe because it would narrow down the field of competition!)

[:p]

SomeDood
12-11-2003, 11:56 AM
Yeah the logo on the speakers is pretty flimsy, its just a cheap sticker. It doesnt really bother me though. I think that a logo made out of metal would look really nice on ascends.

BradJudy
12-11-2003, 11:58 PM
Sounds like fun - time to dust off the graphics apps and pull out the pen and paper. I've never cared much for the current logo either. What's the deadline? Will there be a grill trade-in program for existing owners? :)

MRose
12-12-2003, 12:37 AM
I'm thinking of a grill logo in the Spinal Tap tradition. You have to ask yourself how much more black can it be? The answer is none, none more black. Simple. Elegant. Cheap.

DaveF, I'll take the CMT-340C. You have my delivery address on file.

Quinn
12-12-2003, 08:42 AM
It certainly has never bothered me that my three year old has peeled "that" logo sticker off all the speakers.

X52
12-12-2003, 09:26 AM
I'm glad Ascend is seriously considering changing their logo. Whatever the winning design turns out to be, I think it should definitely be made with metal or a hard metalic plastic.

JH

Quinn
12-12-2003, 09:56 AM
MRose- Does that logo go to eleven? I'm sure Dave and Jason would want a logo that goes to eleven.

davef
12-12-2003, 10:30 AM
This thread is making me laugh...

In all honesty, a tooled metal or plastic logo would be LESS expensive than our current logo. Of course, the tooling fees would be initially high but, in most cases, well worth it.

Our current logos are sourced locally and are quite expensive. I will be happy to have something new.

Hmmm, as far as a deadline goes... February 28, 2004. Winner announcement in early March.

Regarding a grille replacement program.. we will just have to see about that, all of you must first like the logo :)

Have fun!!!

Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
www.ascendacoustics.com

BradJudy
12-13-2003, 03:56 AM
David,

Quick question to help direct the logo development. What impression do you wish to impart onto your customers? (e.g. top quality, high tech, stylish, etc.)

Things like this are fun. Brian Bunge of Rutledge had a contest to name their new speaker on Audiocircle and not only did they get a good name, but several more good names that could be used for future products. Seems win-win to me. Companies get a fairly cheap source of creativity and customers get to participate in the product.

ChrisA
01-06-2004, 01:50 PM
Hi everybody, I've been a lurker for a little while, and this contest got me off my butt and made me join up. I just sent you a design dave, and again, I appologize for it's simplicity. Well, I just wanted to say hello everyone and happy new year, and good luck in the contest.

smackay
01-14-2004, 12:38 AM
How is the redesign going? One of the Ascend logos on my 170 came off (probably pull off by my 2yr old). Before I either reglue it on or remove all of them, I was wondering if there might be a new design nearing approval.

Scott

BradJudy
01-14-2004, 03:46 AM
Scott,

Unless David has changed his mind, the contest will go until the end of Feb. I imagine it will be at least another month after that before there are any items made with the new logo.

Nate-G
02-26-2004, 05:27 AM
I sent mine in... 1 day short of the deadline. Wooohooo!

Everything that is great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom. -Albert Einstein

AgentCooper
02-27-2004, 01:46 AM
I'm excited to find out the results! I would also love to see some of the entries when it's all said and done.

Daniel
02-27-2004, 02:25 AM
Just sent mine in... and I agree, it would be interesting to see what others did. A forum vote would be cool too.

glou
02-27-2004, 10:20 AM
Just sent mine in too.

Paul Disney IV
02-28-2004, 12:55 PM
I finally finished my designs. I hope that Dave meant to have them in on the 28th as oppose to before the 28th.

AgentCooper
03-01-2004, 02:13 AM
Anyone know when they might announce the winner?

Daniel
03-01-2004, 02:41 AM
Winner announcement in early March according to David. That's if someone wins...

spiffnme
03-02-2004, 07:31 AM
Win, Lose, or Draw...I'd love to see all the designs that everyone submitted.

davef
03-02-2004, 07:42 AM
Hello!

Just want to say THANKS for all the wonderful logo submissions! No winner announcement until the end of the month so... if you haven't submitted yet... keep them coming!

We will definitely post our favorites but please give us a few weeks.

Thanks!

Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
www.ascendacoustics.com

Sigma B
03-10-2004, 02:07 AM
I'm working on my submission and I was wondering if David was wanting something that could by CNC'd out of metal or something that would be printed then with an embossed plastic covering or whatnot?

curtis
03-10-2004, 05:24 AM
Do both! Increases your chances.

-curtis

Sigma B
03-10-2004, 06:02 AM
am i allowed to show my submissions? I like creative criticism ;-)

curtis
03-10-2004, 07:43 AM
I don't recall a rule against it.

-curtis

Sigma B
03-10-2004, 10:03 AM
i'd be afraid i would ruin my chances [:I]

Paul Disney IV
03-10-2004, 11:44 AM
I'm still wondering if the contest was lengthened because Ascend didn't approve of any of the entries. Still, this contest has been a fun challenge.

ChrisA
03-10-2004, 01:33 PM
Or, if the new website is not ready to fly yet?

Sigma B
03-23-2004, 02:28 PM
The end of March is drawing near......

I made my submission, I'm just wondering if we have a winner or not [:D], any word yet?

Paul Disney IV
03-23-2004, 10:36 PM
Let's just hope that the chosen logo is worth the wait. My beloved Cincinnati Bengals released a new logo design this week, and the fans (including myself) already hate it. At this point I don't care so much whether or not one of my designs win, just that everyone likes the new design. Although I have held off on completing my system with the center channel...

Sigma B
03-23-2004, 11:25 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Paul Disney IV

....Although I have held off on completing my system with the center channel...

WHY?

Paul Disney IV
03-24-2004, 11:28 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Sigma B

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Paul Disney IV

....Although I have held off on completing my system with the center channel...

WHY?

Because I am an age 22 college student who works at a coffee house and am attempting to save for an engagement ring. That being said if I don't win it I'll order one very soon after a winner is announced.

Sigma B
03-24-2004, 12:49 PM
i didn't understand you were meaning that.... you didn't make it clear....

or you could do what I do.... help your g/f to understand they home theater equipment is more important than diamonds [:D]

Gregisme
03-24-2004, 02:18 PM
Just inform your GF that the diamond industry is the biggest marketing scam of all time, and that in reality, diamonds should be no more expensive than a box of rocks as they are, in fact, very abundant stones (we're talkin' huge warehouses full of stored diamonds, folks). The evil DeBoers cartel controls the industry so tightly, resulting in an incredibly inflated pricing environment. (They didn't achieve that power by being ethical or benign).

Right now, there are a couple companies that are just beginning to research & manufacture diamonds that are indistinguishable (even by precise microscopic testing methods) from "real" diamonds. Give it a few more years, and perhaps we will finally see some reasonable prices (promising your then wife a diamond ring 3 times the size you could afford to buy her now!).

It's a win-win, you get your equipment now, with a promise of a much greater gift for her later!

Ben_Wood
03-25-2004, 12:04 AM
Gregisme, I hope that De Beers has no idea of where you live! [:D]

Paul Disney IV
03-25-2004, 12:42 AM
The irony is, she's the one that bought me the other four speakers (2 170's and 2 200's). She was getting ready to get me the center when the contest was announced and I told her she might want to hold off. Yes, that was a mistake but I knew that if she bought me a 340, and then I won another, then I would be forced to then purchase another so that I would have 3 340's in the front. I would feel really bad if she had bought me all of these speakers and then I left her. After all, with three 340's who needs a wife?? (strong words for someone who hasn't even heard a 340 yet)

Gregisme
03-25-2004, 12:52 AM
Oh, so she bought you the speakers?

forget everything I said and just buy the diamond ring for her NOW! :D

Ben - I knew my spelling of "De Boers" didn't look right..

gotta go. packing up to leave the country.

Cliff_L
03-29-2004, 04:59 AM
Anyday now, right?? *waiting on pins & needles* :D

Sigma B
03-29-2004, 05:25 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Cliff_L

Anyday now, right?? *waiting on pins & needles* :D

Ditto... Waiting ever so patiently

ClutchBrake
04-01-2004, 02:04 AM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Gregisme

Just inform your GF that the diamond industry is the biggest marketing scam of all time, and that in reality, diamonds should be no more expensive than a box of rocks as they are, in fact, very abundant stones (we're talkin' huge warehouses full of stored diamonds, folks). The evil DeBoers cartel controls the industry so tightly, resulting in an incredibly inflated pricing environment. (They didn't achieve that power by being ethical or benign).

Right now, there are a couple companies that are just beginning to research & manufacture diamonds that are indistinguishable (even by precise microscopic testing methods) from "real" diamonds. Give it a few more years, and perhaps we will finally see some reasonable prices (promising your then wife a diamond ring 3 times the size you could afford to buy her now!).

It's a win-win, you get your equipment now, with a promise of a much greater gift for her later!

Just to bolster your argument, check out this Wired Magazine article: http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/11.09/diamond.html

Sigma B
04-01-2004, 03:20 AM
Isn't Today *The* Day? [:D]

Cliff_L
04-01-2004, 06:19 AM
Well, I don't think DaveF ever set an 'official' date for announcing the results but he DID say at the end of the month! Hopefully one of our submittals was even seriously considered - I suppose there's the chance that they won't use any of 'em. ;) Still waiting not so patiently....

Sigma B
04-01-2004, 06:29 AM
I've been holding off buying my set of speakers, just for the slight possiblity of the outcome of this. I tried very hard to recreate a design that was both professional and elegant, and I think I achieved that. I had so much fun just working on this, meanwhile thinking, if I win where exactly I will place my prize!

Since we were given until the end of the month and it's now April 1st I thought I might post what my submission looks like. I'd like to know what Dave and Curtis' thoughts are before I do..... I don't wish to alter some *space/time continuium* or whatnot [8D]

davef
04-01-2004, 07:16 AM
Winners announcement by the end of the day today.... I promise..

We have 2 finalists and 1 winner. The two finalists will each receive $100 credit towards any purchase of $200 or more..

Stay tuned... :)

Good Sound To You!

David Fabrikant
www.ascendacoustics.com

spiffnme
04-06-2004, 01:19 AM
Any chance all the submissions could be viewed? I'd love to see everybody elses work. I'll gladly host the webspace if need be.

azanon
04-06-2004, 11:09 PM
So who won? Can we see the winning logo?

Azanon

curtis
04-07-2004, 12:12 AM
Azanon.....its here:

http://www.ascendforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=408

-curtis