PDA

View Full Version : Center Placement Idea - Please Review

RTD
03-16-2006, 07:58 PM
I'm seriously considering an Ascend front package for HT, 170's or 340's L/R and definately a 340 Center.

I need help to figure out a placement for the center. Here's my situation.
1) Center speaker (or LCDTV) wall mounting not allowed.
2) LCDTV is currently stand mounted (5" from bottom of screen to stand mount base) and sits on top shelf of a 3-tiered (i.e. top/middle/bottom shelves) AV stand.
3) Middle shelf under HDTV has exactly 7.5"(h) clearance.
4) IF center speaker placement is on 1st level, that will put top of the center speaker 7"-8" below HDTV screen and 13"-14" below base of L/R speaker stands.
5) LCDTV is a flatpanel that's 4" deep and straight vertical back.
6) actual TV mount base plate is 32"(w)X10.5"(d) with the outer corner feet about 27"(w)X9"(d).
7) L/R will be on 24" tall standard speaker stands.
8) LCDTV weighs 60lb.
9) Top shelf of AV stand is only 20" off floor (hindsight is 20/20).
10) Raising the LCDTV vertical position 8"-12" would be welcome.

Placement idea.
Objective: To get the center oriented as close to LCDTV screen as possible and nearer to same horizonal plane as L/R speakers.

Because the 340 center is 21" wide by 10.5" deep, I'm considering:
1) Placing the center on AV stand top shelf, then another shelf board sufficient for TV baseplate footprint on center and TV on the center. Wouldn't be able to adjust center direction, but it would be closer to ear level than middle shelf placement.
2) Construct a cabinet to house the center on AV stand top sheld with TV on top of cabinet. Center horizonal direction would be adjustable.
3) Just go with the middle AV stand shelf. Center direction would not be adjustable and would aim towards viewer knees.

I seeking a solution with my current AV stand and TV. Consideration #1 is the simpliest, but I'm not sure about practical. Would the 340 center support a 60lb TV?? Construction of a cabinet is extra work, unless someone knows of prefab open ended cabinet sources, but sounds most practical. Consideration #3 is what I'm hoping to avoid. All help and opinions welcome. This is my 1st post, so please be gentle. Thanks in advance.

twalker294
04-01-2006, 06:29 PM
That's a lot to follow -- is there any way you can post a picture of the setup? That would make suggestions much easier.

As for putting the weight of the TV on the 340 -- I wouldn't even think about it.

Todd

BradJudy
04-01-2006, 08:17 PM
Can the TV be positioned so that there is enough room in front of it on the top of the AV cabinet for the 340? If so, I would add a something under the TV to raise it high enough to clear the 340 and place the 340 on the shelf in front of it.

RTD
04-01-2006, 09:52 PM
Thanks for giving this look. The original post was a bit weighty.

Although sensing it not wise, I was curious about opinions (or attempts) at placing a flatpanel LCDTV on a 340SE. Confirmation appreciated.

As for placement of center on top shelf with LCDTV, yes the TV will have to be raised to prevent interference with IR control. I'd like to have the center either flush or slightly forward of LCD screen, so it appears I need find or construct a cabinet capable of housing the center and functioning as an added shelf for the TV to sit on. I didn't mention it earlier (I know you're thinking nothing was left out), but the shelves are tempered glass. I'll continue to brainstorm for a solution and when I succeed, I'll add it to the "center placement" suggestions list.

Again, thanks for the look.

RTD

drewface
04-15-2006, 11:35 AM
when you say the center direction cannot be changed, does that mean on any axis, or only the x-axis (left-right direction change). if it can be moved up or down, you could put it in the middle shelf and prop up the front a little (i hear rubber door stops work good) so it doesn't aim at the viewer's knees...

again, i don't know what you meant by the direction cannot be changed.

BGHD
04-16-2006, 10:05 AM
Since wall mounting isn't an option for you, maybe you can get one of these, where you can just rest the ctr channel on top of the AV cabinet with the TV 'floating' above:

http://www.salamanderdesigns.com/syn/mounts.jsp

For me, I tried the 340C placed into the center portion of a Salamander Triple 20, but didn't care for the sound. Now, it's placed on top of the cabinet, w/ TV wall mounted behind/above just clearing the ctr speaker. The speakers are quite a bit in front of the TV, but hasn't caused me any problems. If I couldn't wall mount, I probably would've either purchased the attach-to-the-back TV mount or some type of plasma "wall" unit.

Lee Bailey
04-17-2006, 08:58 AM
It would definitely be easier to help if you post a picture, or at least a link to the stand you are using. Finding a platform of some type that will permit setting the center on top of the flat panel would be preferred.

millerwill
04-20-2006, 10:10 AM
I'm sure that this question has been asked and answered, but I just can't fine it. (I apologize for my incompetence!)

I'm contemplating going to a Front Projection set-up, with the screen on the wall, so to mount my 340C over the screen (which still seems best) I will need to use a wall mount. That doesn't seem to be a problem; I've found lots that look like they will work. The question is, what is the MINIMUM amount of space one needs to leave from the back of the speaker to the wall so that the rear port functions well? Thanks much.

Lee Bailey
04-20-2006, 11:33 AM
If you're going with a front projector, I would recommend putting the center channel at the bottom of the screen, or whichever position aligns it as close to the height of the L/R tweeters.

millerwill
04-20-2006, 12:45 PM
If you're going with a front projector, I would recommend putting the center channel at the bottom of the screen, or whichever position aligns it as close to the height of the L/R tweeters.

Bottom is possible, but I don't think it will work as well as above.

So the question remains: what is the minimum distance recommended between the wall and the back side of the 340C? I'm sure 10" is plenty of room (as DaveF says in his center channel wall unit) but what about 3 or 4"?

Lou-the-dog
04-20-2006, 06:01 PM
I think about 3X the port diameter is sufficient... about 6" with the 340's would be minimum.

Randy

millerwill
04-20-2006, 06:44 PM
I think about 3X the port diameter is sufficient... about 6" with the 340's would be minimum.

Randy

Very good--thanks much! I think I can work with that.

RTD
04-23-2006, 04:10 PM
Hi Folks.
Been out of town for a week or so. Just checked back and I appreciate the replys. I checked the Salamander site. I guess the proper term for my objective is a bridge that can support the LCDTV and accomodate below TV placement of the center speaker. 20/20 hindsight suggests I should have thought more about center placement before purchasing my current AV stand. Thanks again all.

RTD