PDA

View Full Version : Power Conditioner

curtis
12-10-2003, 01:45 AM
I bought a Tripplite line conditioner off of eBay...I think the model is LC1800. Anyways, it made more a difference with my TV picture than with the sound of my system. It really depends on how bad the power is in your area or house.

-curtis

UnholyB0B
02-06-2004, 03:47 PM
What's the big difference between a power conditioner and UPS. I might have a free UPS/APC 700 but not sure if it will help me. Got 2 refrigerators , Big screen TV, AV stuff all on one circuit. When the frig kicks on the lights dim and notice lines on my TV. I rent so I can't change the wiring =(

X52
02-07-2004, 08:42 AM
I'm willing to bet your land lord wouldn't mind you havinf another cucuit put into another room. Its safer. You just have to pay for it.

JH

andyw
02-09-2004, 02:13 AM
As I understand it, a power conditioner "regulates" the electricity passing through it, cutting off surges of higher power. Most UPS just kick in when power drops below a certain level, though some UPS have built-in power conditioning. Since you have a UPS to try out for free, give it a shot...

I lived in an apartment that had a similar problem on one outlet; hooking up a UPS there showed how bad the situation was, as the UPS did its low power warning beep about every 15 minutes. I ended up changing to an outlet on a different circuit, as the beeping was really annoying.

In my current house, I just use a Tripplite.

X52
02-09-2004, 07:29 AM
andyw,

What Tripplite model do you use? Are you happy with it?

JH

andyw
02-10-2004, 03:01 AM
I'm using a Tripplite Isobar8Ultra, which does line noise protection and surge/spike protection, but it isn't a power conditioner. That was enough for me in my current house.

http://www.tripplite.com/products/product.cfm?productID=111

A friend of mine swears by power conditioners and gave me an A/B demonstration, but I honestly couldn't hear any difference. Whether that's because there was no difference or because of hearing damage from too many rock concerts in the '80s is open to debate...

azanon
02-11-2004, 09:23 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Whether that's because there was no difference or because of hearing damage from too many rock concerts in the '80s is open to debate...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
You and me both. Sadly, i took an online hearing test, and I wasnt hearing anything above 15K hz.

Derek
02-11-2004, 10:48 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by azanon
You and me both. Sadly, i took an online hearing test, and I wasnt hearing anything above 15K hz.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

were you using computer speakers? if so, how do you know if the speakers were actually able to produce any sound above 15khz... [:D]

bikeman
02-12-2004, 08:52 AM
I had my hearing tested by an audiologist. I can't hear anything above 16k hz. The audiologist said it was just a natural part of aging and my abusive listening habits from years gone by had little to do with it.

David