PDA

View Full Version : Connecting Ascends to stands

curtis
12-09-2003, 11:49 PM
I have heard good things about blu-tak. Sorbothane and neoprene will just absorb vibrations and not make the speaker "stick" to the stands.

-curtis

Quinn
12-10-2003, 02:12 AM
Dood- Are happy with your 170s for Metal?

SomeDood
12-11-2003, 09:04 AM
Hey Quinn,

Yes my ascends are great for metal, as well as other types of music...I love them. Nice crunchy, full mids that are fast and detailed. Highs are nice and smooth (which is a BIG plus considering some metal recordings) and from what I can tell are very detailed. The only thing I could need more of is bass, but i guess thats ok because my room isnt that big anyway. Overall my ascends make the psbs I had look like a sad joke, mainly because of cabinet resonance put out by the psb's.

Ben_Wood
12-12-2003, 06:29 AM
SD,
If your stands permit it, you might want to fill them with sand. This will make them more stable and cut down on any stray resonances they might exhibit.

JohnnyCasaba
12-13-2003, 03:46 AM
I have been using a generic adhesive clay that I purchased from a local crafts store for $1.50 that is very similar to Blu-Tak. Once it sets, I can lift the speakers and stands (homemade from MDF, weigh about 20 lbs.) by just lifting the speakers. So far in the six months I have been using it, have noticed no ill effects to the finish. Have had to de-couple them 3 times so far, used a plastic spatula to pry them apart. I figure the risk of some discoloration on the bottom of the speakers compared to what might happen if they are knocked over is one I'm willing to take.

Saw on another forum the other day, OfficeDepot carries Ross Tak n Stik (again very similar to Blu-Tak) for about a $1.00 a pack.