PDA

View Full Version : The Return of the King

Ben_Wood
12-12-2003, 06:30 AM
What, no Tolkien fans here?

Cliff_L
12-14-2003, 06:26 AM
I'm sure there are many of us, just only a few who care to admit it. Personally, I knew about the movies well before they even starting filming them. I caught rumors of the movies when they were first throwing the ideas around and even before they had casted anyone. So I've pretty much been waiting for this movie for 5 years or so now. Ugh. I was also a huge Tolkien fan as a kid so to see the movies come to the big screen was a complete thrill. And to see them done seriously (as opposed to some cheap sword & sorcery flick) pretty much made my life.

I'm going to see the marathon screening of all 3 on Tuesday (FoTR-EE at 1:45pm, TTT-EE at 5:45pm, and RoTK at 10:00pm). *woot* Less than 48 hours to go. I'm not sure how I'm going to even be able to sleep Monday night, much less get anything accomplished at work tomorrow.

WamiMan
12-18-2003, 12:33 AM
Ben, didn't see the thread or I would have certainly chimed in. I would call myself a fan, but not one who would dress up when going to one of the films like some folks I have seen on the news. I haven't seen ROTK yet, although that is slated for Friday. Needless to say I am very excited about it. Not to mention the fact that these movies make great DVDs for showing off your system. At least the extended cuts. [;)]

J.A.P
12-18-2003, 02:20 AM
Saw it yesterday. Great Movie! I wish they would have ended it like the book though, I liked the books return to Hobbiton. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with a DVD collection next. I hear Jackson may do the Hobbit prequal that should be cool too.

WamiMan
12-18-2003, 05:04 AM
From what I have read on the massive thread in home theater forum, he is okay to do the hobbit, if they can settle the movie rights issue. Peter Jackson is currently working on King Kong, so it would probably be a way off. I have to think that movie studios will be a lot more receptive to this genre than they have in the past. Its just that I don't know if you will find a better fantasy story than Tolkien's stuff.

The thing that I wonder is whether the academy will choose it as best picture. Generally, they tend to dislike fantasy/sci-fi/comedy movies which leads me to question their credibility somewhat. A good movie is a good movie no matter what kind. There is also a politically correct element to their selections also.

Ben_Wood
12-19-2003, 10:00 AM
I read on AVSforum that the Tolkien estate isn't that happy with Jackson's treatment of TLotR ( my personal opinion is that he did an outstanding job considering the difficult subject ). So, there is some doubt as to if Jackson will get the opportunity to direct "The Hobbit". I think it would be criminal for anyone else to do it besides Jackson.

Ben_Wood
12-19-2003, 10:02 AM
Oh, and by the way, the Ents really gave my VTF-2 a work out! [:)]

J.A.P
12-19-2003, 03:53 PM
I can't beleve that one. Who could have done a better job? He was as close to the story as anyone could have been in my opinion. Those books were that BOOKS it's very difficult to recreate a book exactly. Silence of the Lambs in my opinion is the closest any movie has been to the actual book. Character development is tough, in books you get more history and subconcience thought, impossible to recreate in a movie without the characters talking to themselves. Jackson did a fine job and deserves credit for it not criticism. Just my opinion. Look what Stan Lee did to the Hulk now that deserves criticism!

Ben_Wood
12-19-2003, 10:21 PM
Well, hopefully as soon as Jackson finishes "King Kong" he will be set to undertake "The Hobbit"

WamiMan
12-22-2003, 06:10 AM
Ben, my VTF-2 gets a good workout also with these. Interestingly, they tuned down the DTS mix on the extended version of Two Towers. The Fell Beast wings don't hit quite as hard. The theatrical is a really hot mix. I saw ROTK on Friday. That was a movie experience. That movie is simply ridiculous. A better movie I have not seen period. PJ did an outstanding job with these films.

Chris

Ben_Wood
12-22-2003, 07:06 AM
Chris, it'll be a few more days before I get to see "TRotK". Hopefully PJ can work out the logistics and give us "The Hobbit" in a year or two!

Ben_Wood
12-22-2003, 07:11 AM
Also, I'm a dts fanatic. If a dvd has a dts soundtrack, I'll opt for it every time. Having dts and the extra scenes make the extended versions must-have in my opinion.

mattepntr
12-22-2003, 12:06 PM
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by J.A.P

Silence of the Lambs in my opinion is the closest any movie has been to the actual book.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Totally off topic, but Stephen King once said that "Rosemary's Baby"
was the most faithful book-to-film adaptation he's ever seen. "If
you've seen the movie, you can skip the book, and vice versa". I don't
know about that, but it's pretty damn close.

Rick

WamiMan
12-22-2003, 09:16 PM
I am scheduled to see the film again tonight (ROTK)with some of my friends who haven't seen it. This shouldn't be a spoiler, but I was thinking that a few of the scenes from the first theatrical trailer did not appear in the film to my knowledge, or at least I couldn't remember seeing them. I will try to look again tonight. You just can't get all the detail through one showing.