PDA

View Full Version : How to clean HTM200 grills?

JeffD2
02-19-2006, 07:42 AM
I have an HTM200 as my CC atop direct view CRT display. Because the nature of this beast generates a lot of static electricity, it is a dust magnet which needs cleaning two times a week along with the peripherals within close proximity of it.

Now I'm seeing discoloration on the grill cloth of HTM200. So I'm wondering-

1) Can I soak/rinse it in a mild detergent and allow it to air dry?
2) Is the glue that holds the fabric water soluble?
3) I'd feel weird taking this to a dry cleaner, but would.

I'm not afraid to roll the dice on this, after all, how much could a new grill cost?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated! :cool:

JohnnyCasaba
02-19-2006, 10:22 AM
I have my 340c on top of the CRT TV and the 170 mains along side, I notice no discoloration compared to the other speakers in the room. To clean the grill cloths, I usually just vacuum them carefully with the brush attachment.

Gov
02-19-2006, 11:47 AM
I had to clean a bit of the adhesive that Ascend uses to put on the speaker emblems since I had to switch it due to mounting the speaker upside down from the ceiling. Anyway, I used some acetone and rinsed it with water, then took a blow dryer to it. Did not have one problem. Although the grill material seems a bit thin, it is very durable. I would think you will have no issues cleaning them with soap and water.

JeffD2
02-20-2006, 04:57 PM
............Did not have one problem. Although the grill material seems a bit thin, it is very durable. I would think you will have no issues cleaning them with soap and water.
You're Right!!

The wife is a light smoker and constantly has candles lit. I believe this is what caused "staining" toward the bottom edges of the grill over time. I soaked and gently agitated the grill in mild solution of ice cold water and laudry detergent for five minutes. Gently blotted dry, and remounted on cablinet. Good as new! :D

Gov
02-20-2006, 05:06 PM
Glad it worked for you