PDA

View Full Version : CBM-170 se receiver setup

kinggimp82
02-14-2006, 02:16 PM
i just ordered some CBM-170 se's. im paring them with a hsu stf-2. i have low end receiver that has crossover options at only 100 hz, 150 hz and 200 hz. i know id set it to 100 hz. would i be better served to set them as (large) fullrange speakers or set them as (small) with the crossover at 100 hz?

curtis
02-14-2006, 03:32 PM
Small and 100hz, I think would be preferable....rather than large with the sub.

You could also try using the sub's crossover by using its speaker level inputs and then connecting the speakers to the outputs.

stumacdo
02-16-2006, 05:47 AM
I'm kinda in the same boat. Intrigued by your suggestion to use the sub's crossover and use the sub's inputs/outputs. If doing that, what settings would you make as far as the x-over on the receiver and also, what would you set on the sub ? Thanks in advance.

curtis
02-16-2006, 06:42 AM
You would not use the crossover on the receiver and set the speakers to large.

On the sub, adjust the crossover to taste. Sometimes the markings on the crossover dial are not accurate, but I would imagine somewhere between the 60hz-80hz range is where you will end up.

stumacdo
02-16-2006, 12:13 PM
You would not use the crossover on the receiver and set the speakers to large.

On the sub, adjust the crossover to taste. Sometimes the markings on the crossover dial are not accurate, but I would imagine somewhere between the 60hz-80hz range is where you will end up.

So, where in the past I've been setting the speakers to 'Large', but also setting up the x-over to 80-100, I'm better off keeping it at 'Large' but keeping the AVR x-over off and adjusting the sub x-over ? I'm wondering what difference it'll make if I previously had the x-over set on the AVR.

curtis
02-16-2006, 01:13 PM
The subwoofer and speakers would be connected in series........receiver -> subwoofer(crossover) -> speakers, thus you need to send the fullrange signal to the subwoofer to let the crossover do its work.

The conventional way with AV receivers would have the receiver doing the crossover work. By setting the speakers to large in this scenario, you are sending the fullrange signal to the speakers, and whatever below the crossover setting to the sub. This duplicates the signal below the crossover point....meaning it is sent to the speakers and the sub.

If the speakers are set to small, the frequencies above the crossover point are sent to the speakers and below to the sub. This is essentially doing the same thing as in my first paragraph...but at the receiver, not the subwoofer.

kinggimp82
02-18-2006, 12:43 PM
this may be a dumb question but can i damage the cbm-170s by running them as large fullrange?

bikeman
02-18-2006, 01:23 PM
this may be a dumb question but can i damage the cbm-170s by running them as large fullrange?
Not a dumb question at all. Run the 170's anyway you like. Nothing wimpy about Ascends.

David