PDA

View Full Version : Netflix sends frequent renters to the back of line

curtis
02-11-2006, 09:57 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/02/10/netflix.renters.ap/index.html

bikeman
02-11-2006, 10:15 AM
My own useage pointed this out awhile ago. When I return three DVD's at the same time, Netflix lies about when the receive them.
When I recently sent an inquiry about a problem with a DVD delivery, they didn't answer my inquiries for a week and then made it sound like they were on top of it from the get go. They also sent me a customer satisfaction survey right after I sent my problem email to them. The customer "survey" only covered another DVD that was shipped at the same time. The questions did not pertain to the DVD that was a problem. That's one of the ways they use to get such high customer satisfaction numbers.
I cancel Netflix every Spring. I don't spend much time indoors when daylight savings time is in effect. Life's too short for couch sittin unless momma nature makes couch sittin a good option.
I get my money's worth outta Netflix. The other options all have their warts.

David

sensibull
02-11-2006, 11:02 AM
I get my money's worth outta Netflix.

Me too, but this official confirmation of what I had been suspecting for some time certainly irks me something fierce. The number of companies out there that deliver what they advertise is getting ridiculously low. So low, that the ones that do (nudge, nudge) earn my undying loyalty...

bikeman
02-11-2006, 11:48 AM
The number of companies out there that deliver what they advertise is getting ridiculously low. So low, that the ones that do (nudge, nudge) earn my undying loyalty...
That's certainly one of the unifying aspects of this Forum. It'll get harder as Ascend gets larger but I've got alotta faith that customer service will keep it's place in the priorities.
Let's just hope that Ascend dosen't become part of the internet division of Speakers R US and Dave F. becomes a rich CEO emeritus. :eek: I don't have any problem with him becoming a rich CEO working round the clock keeping us happy however. :D

David

tamuct
02-11-2006, 03:55 PM
I remember seeing something like this months ago on Slashdot. It seems that if you rent like crazy your requests are put at the bottom of the list. If you only rent a few a month, your request gets highest priority.

It makes sense on a certain level. Those who rent more are getting more for the same amount of money, those who rent less are paying more per DVD and should get better treatment.

OTOH, if you advertise an all you can eat (watch) service, I'd better get all that I can watch!

Lou-the-dog
02-11-2006, 05:06 PM
Yes, it is marketing at it's finest. The marketing scheme is to make the customer believe that the only thing throttling his movie rental appetite is the postal service. If they were to be truly honest they would say something like, "3 movies at a time with a maximum of 12 per month." Of course, that would take all the fun out of it. Still they are a bargain compared to my local convenience store which is $3.49 per 24 hour rental. I'd suggest NetFlix revise their sales approach before they lose credibility.

Randy

curtis
02-11-2006, 05:06 PM
I thought I would post that quickly before I went out the door this morning.

That scenario is precisely why I switched to Blockbuster Online about a year ago.

metalaaron
02-15-2006, 10:37 AM
i just saw this today ...

http://www.fool.com/News/mft/2006/mft06021501.htm

curtis
02-15-2006, 10:44 AM
awww...crap.....

At least BlockBuster is less expensive and gives you two free in-store rentals a month.

curtis
11-06-2006, 03:32 PM
I thought I would dig this thread up from the dead.

FWIW, Blockbuster now allows you to return DVDs rented and received by mail to a BB store.....and get another movie from the store.

When you are ready to return one of your online rentals, simply drop it in the mail OR take it to a BLOCKBUSTER store. In-store we will check in your online rental and give you another movie from the store right on the spot. No extra charge – No Kidding. It's that simple!

I am going to try it tonight.

BradJudy
11-06-2006, 03:53 PM
Cool - I heard you could return them there, but didn't hear the part about getting a new one on the spot - we've got to try that too, there's a Blockbuster next to the grocery store.

curtis
11-06-2006, 07:48 PM
This deal is great!

I just returned two movies I got online to my local BlockBuster. Those will be reported as turned in to the online system, and my next two movies in the queue will be sent to me.

In addition, I got two movies from the store....at no additional cost. Those two movies have to be turned back into the store by their due dates.

They are trying to put Netflix out of business.

BradJudy
11-06-2006, 08:33 PM
Hmmm...so just this just mean that they don't make you print out the free rental coupons if you return a video to the store?

curtis
11-06-2006, 08:43 PM
In a sense...yes...the receipt says "coupon" on it. Of course, I still have my monthly coupons as well.

One of the workers said you could conceivably return three online videos to the store, get three from the store, and have three sent to you from your queue....giving you six DVDs at one time.

Jonnyozero3
11-07-2006, 07:49 PM
In a sense...yes...the receipt says "coupon" on it. Of course, I still have my monthly coupons as well.

One of the workers said you could conceivably return three online videos to the store, get three from the store, and have three sent to you from your queue....giving you six DVDs at one time.

the world is going to implode...this is incredible!

curtis
11-07-2006, 08:40 PM
the world is going to implode...this is incredible!
LOL!!

Sure enough....I got the "shipped" email for the top two DVD's in my queue earlier this evening.

Jonnyozero3
11-07-2006, 09:23 PM
wow. I'm going to have another glass of wine to celebrate ;)