PDA

View Full Version : Unusual problem with Test Tones!

KojiroTakenashi
02-04-2006, 10:17 PM
Alright, I have a Yamaha RX-450, right? Crossover at default 80 hz (not my choice - remote doesn't function correctly)...and so after recalibrating my subwoofer volume (I found a napkin behind it that was making it sound NASTY), I run some test tones in foobar...first one? 27 hz. To my horror it also starts playing out of the 170 I'm trying out. Luckily...no damage...but WTF? I mean, shouldn't that not be happening at all?

curtis
02-04-2006, 11:38 PM
Make sure the speakers are set to small. When set to large, they get the full signal.

KojiroTakenashi
02-04-2006, 11:40 PM
My understanding is that 'small' automatically crosses over the signal...in any case, back when I tested the higher ranges earlier on my other speakers, anything below 80 gently and properly faded into oblivion...Naturally, with my Yami on default settings, speakers are on small, also :\

curtis
02-05-2006, 08:54 AM
Are you saying that the 27hz tone came through the speakers when they were set to small?

KojiroTakenashi
02-05-2006, 07:38 PM
The 27hz tone came out of both sub and speaker. It was indeed quieter on the CBM, but you could clearly see the cone buzzing along...

curtis
02-05-2006, 08:11 PM
If you are saying the speaker was set to small, crossover at 80hz or so, and you had some of that 27hz tone coming out of the speaker....then I would say something is wrong with the crossover on the receiver.

Eddie Horton
02-06-2006, 05:09 AM
Make sure the "LFE Out" is set to "Sub Only" instead of "L,R + Sub". Don't know if that would be the right wording or not.........but something like that. And, again, I don't know if that would even affect how the test tones come out, but I also have a Yammy receiver and some of the settings don't exactly work the way the manual says they should. Either that, or more likely, the manual is worded very ambiguously.

KojiroTakenashi
02-06-2006, 09:21 PM
Well, thing is, I'm using FB2K to generate the test tones out to my reciever...as for the output, I have the subwoofer hooked up to the LF pre-out...I don't know about the settings you mentioned, as I can't access any of the setup because the 'select' button on my remote doesn't work...

Eddie Horton
02-07-2006, 04:59 AM
You might want to get a working remote. It is possible that something is wrong with the receiver, but it's more likely that something in the setup menu is on the wrong setting and you can't get to it.

Quinn
02-07-2006, 05:21 AM
I agree that you have to access your set-up menu to see what isn't set right. Know anyone with a RX-V450 that you can borrow the remote from to check?

SteveCallas
02-07-2006, 12:27 PM
I'd like to hear more about this napkin - was it stuck in the port or something? :D

KojiroTakenashi
02-07-2006, 04:06 PM
Quinn: Nope...any old modern Yamaha remote should work, though :\

Callas: Nope. Sealed Enclosure, downfiring...it's just the napkin was somehow causing the subwoofer to somehow couple with the boxes I use as rear stands...making nasty, nasty booms at lower notes.