PDA

View Full Version : Speaker placement for 6.1 set up

ascottmichael
02-04-2006, 03:25 PM
I'm new to HT and after combing through a few AV forums I'm starting with a Pany xr55 6 channel digital amp, the STF-2 and eventually a set of 6 Ascend speakers, they are on order. 340SE center, 170SE front, and HTM-200 side surround and rear center. About $1500 for what I hope to be awesome HT experience. I know it should blow away any of those package brands from retail stores. :D

I could use advise on set up for 6.1 HT system. The problem is positioning surround speakers in room with severe limitations on wall mounting.

I'm thinking of putting surround speakers on 40" Omnimount 300 stands about midway between TV and rear wall.

Will there still be good surround effect with middle surround only slightly above ear level? :confused:

The alternative is to mount side surround about 7.5' on sides, which is the only available wall space on the sides.

Would they angle toward center of room or straight across at each other? There is no wall mount area on sidewalls, wall a is sliding glass doors, wall c is mostly open with column in middle.

I could mount center rear channel on rear wall about 5 or 6' high.
Is there a recommended height for rear center channel, and should it be angled down or straight forward?

I could pull couch away from rear wall, what is recommended for distance from rear center speaker to listening position? I need to keep 9' between screen and seating area for best viewing of edtv 42" screen, the pixels are too large if you sit close.

I'll try the STF-2 with my current NHT 1.3 satelites until the Ascends arrive. Should be a good match. Dr Hsu told me where to position the speaker in my weird room setup.

Any input about successful set up is appreciated.
Thanks, it seems like this will be a lot of fun!

Scott

bikeman
02-04-2006, 04:48 PM
Is there a reason you're going 6.1 instead of 7.1? The Panny can do either set-up. I tried 6.1 it didn't work for me. That's partially due to my room configuation.

David

ascottmichael
02-04-2006, 06:42 PM
I don't have the Panny here yet, but on the web it said it has 6 channels @ 100W and the line out for the sub. How do you get 7.1 out of 6 channel amp?

What do you see as the advantage or preference for the 7.1 over the 6.1?

6.1 was what I thought the amp could do, plus it meant only having to mount one speaker in back.

curtis
02-04-2006, 07:07 PM
I some instances, with a single speaker or a single source directly centered behind us, it fools us into thinking that source is in front of us. That changes if you have two speakers behind you to recreate a single channel.

schellhase
02-04-2006, 07:17 PM
I don't have the Panny here yet, but on the web it said it has 6 channels @ 100W and the line out for the sub. How do you get 7.1 out of 6 channel amp?

What do you see as the advantage or preference for the 7.1 over the 6.1?

6.1 was what I thought the amp could do, plus it meant only having to mount one speaker in back.

6.1 is a typo on whatever internet retailer you are looking at, the SA-XR55 can do 6.1 or 7.1 or 5.1 etc. My room is only 12' X 13' so I think 6.1 will be fine for my small room, but I ran an extra rear speaker wire just in case.

I will be using HTM-200 for rear speakers and an Hsu VTF-2 Mk2 sub. The front speakers (when they arrive) are from another, more WAF acceptable manufacturer. Currently I am using the HTM-200s up front with the VTF-2 and it makes a great home theatre system. I just hope the MA Radius 225s, at twice the price, will be the sonic equal of the HTMs.

ascottmichael
02-04-2006, 07:26 PM
So the Panny has 7 channels to hook speakers too? Any suggestions on the rest of my original post?

Thanks

bikeman
02-05-2006, 04:12 AM
So the Panny has 7 channels to hook speakers too?

Yup.

Any suggestions on the rest of my original post?
This is a good starting point.

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/home_entertainment/roomlayout.html

For me, the rest is just experimenting.

David

ascottmichael
02-05-2006, 10:33 AM
Thanks David, that helps quite a bit. Like you said, it becomes an experiment