PDA

View Full Version : receiver setup

drewface
02-02-2006, 08:36 AM
Hey guys,

I received a pair of CBM-170's for Christmas, and have been greatly enjoying them (although now I am considering upgrading them to the SE's to stay up to date). They were the next big step in building my stereo/ht system, a venture that I started a couple years ago.

After reading through countless threads in this forum, I have seen constant mention of people adjusting their receiver settings (mainly crossover and speaker size) to get the most out of their Ascends. Up until now, I have always used the automatic setup feature that is built in to my Yamaha RX-V2400 receiver, but I think it's time to start going the manual setup route, seeing as I now have good quality speakers.

From what I've read, the best settings I should try are setting the speakers to large and the crossover to 60 (I only have the CBM-170's hooked up, no sub or surrounds at the moment, although I may move my old speakers to surround once I find some longer speaker wire). Can someone please give me advice on whether or not this would be the optimal setup, and if not, what other settings would you recommend I try?

Thanks in advance.

Drew

Mag_Neato
02-02-2006, 08:59 AM
As long as you are running them without a sub, leave them set as large. When you add a sub I would not go lower than 80hz as a crossover point, as the classic 170's drop off below 70hz or so. I tried 60hz with mine and had a noticable hole in the response. Even with the SE's I'd leave it at 80.

Eddie Horton
02-02-2006, 03:42 PM
Mag is exactly right. All the crossover is used for is routing the bass below a certain frequency to the sub. If you have no sub, just leave them set to large which will disable the receiver's crossover. If you ever get a sub, just set them to small with a crossover point of 80Hz.

drewface
02-03-2006, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the information. I'm still learning all this audio system stuff as I go, and appreciate the help.