PDA

View Full Version : 340 vs. 170's in my listening space?

curtis
12-07-2003, 05:14 AM
loraan,

I own both speakers. I used to have the CBM-170 as my mains, but now use the CMT-340 for the entire front soundstage.

The CMT-340 is a larger speaker, and more efficient. It can play at louder level more easily than the CBM-170. It is a slight more "forward" sounding speaker, plays deeper, and has wider dispurtion. It is simply a bigger sounding speaker. The left/right version of the the CMT-340 is not listed on Ascend's website, but is available via a phone call. You can find technical differences of the center version and l/r versions discussed in this thread: http://www.ascendforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=155

It is fairly large by bookshelf speaker standards, and I do not think wall mounting them would be wise. You may want to call Ascend and ask about it. If you need to wall mount, the CBM-170 is proabably a better alternative, many 170 owners have them wall mounted with great results.

My room is about the same size as yours. The CBM-170 did a fine job in it, the CMT-340's provide a bigger soundstage.

-curtis