PDA

View Full Version : Set up and speaker choice Questions.

Cicerosecundus
01-22-2006, 03:16 PM
Sir, I would be grateful for your counsel in setting up an Ascend surround sound system for a new house:

FACTS: I have a family room that is 9' X 24' (a converted garage) and is in part open to a kitchen and a downstairs stairway. One half of the long walls of this room are allocated to an AV system composed of a 42" inch plasma that is wall mounted. Opposite the wall on which the plasma is mounted is a couch that is 8' 6" long - the sole sitting area for the plasma. The plasma screen is 8' from a viewer's head when seated on the large couch.

1. I would be grateful to know whether it is appropriate to mount 170s on the wall (using your wall mount HW) next to a plasma TV that is mounted on the wall (the screen is about 5" from the wall), and to mount a 340 center on your recommended TV stand? I am concerned that the wall mounts that you sell and the TV mount that you recommend may not leave the three speakers on the same plane.

2. Would I lose anything by wall mounting the three front speakers in distinction to stand mounting the L and R speakers further away from the back wall?

2. In my implementation, would I be better off using a 170 as a center, given the fact that the seating area is restricted and the distance to the plasma screen in only 8'? The L and R speakers will be between 6 and 7' apart.

3. If you do recommend using a 170 as center, may I assume that it should be mounted vertically, same as the L and R channel speakers?

4. I would be further grateful to know whether the wall mounts that you sell for use with 170s can be used for ceiling mounting? The issue is whether the wall mount gives a pair of 170s used for surround purpose the degree of articulation to allow the speakers to be aimed down at a L and R angle sufficient to spray across the 8.5' couch if the surrounds were mounted in the ceiling above the couch? The ceiling surrounds would be mounted about 7' apart.

5. Would it be preferable to use the 200s as surrounds mounted to the ceiling with the same wall mount HW, in distinction to the 170s?

6. May one purchase a single speaker for use as a center rear channel?

7. What model Hsu subwoofer do you recommend for this installation. It will be used for TV/DVD purposes only. My above fact statement shows that although it is a small room, it is not walled off in a way that normally reinforces low frequencies.

Thank you very much for your time and though in answering these questions.

Regards,

George C. McKinnis

GaryB
01-22-2006, 06:10 PM
Welcome to the forum, George. Since you seem to be specifically soliciting Dave F.'s advice, I would suggest e-mailing him directly at davef@ascendacoustics.com. He generally replies within 2 business days, often sooner. Good luck!