PDA

View Full Version : Another Help Me With My Purchase Question

RandyK
12-07-2003, 03:01 AM
Hi Bruce,

I prefered the CBM-170 over the Rocket RS150 by a WIDE margin. The RS150 is a big step up from the ELT. I really do not think the ELT is in the same league as the CBM-170 and I strongly doubt the ELT would be a step up from your JBLs.

There are quite a few professional reviews of the CBM-170 (Sensible Sound, SoundStage, GoodSound etc.) No professional reviews exist of any of the Rocket speakers. Click here for a summary of the reviews and awards for ascend's speakers: http://www.ascendacoustics.com/Main/Reviews/reviews.asp

-R

curtis
12-07-2003, 04:13 AM
Bruce,

I have heard the ELT and RS150. I actually prefer the ELT over the RS150. And like Bruce, I preferred the CBM-170 over the RS150 by a huge margin. The ELT's are fine for hometheater, but for music, IMO, the Ascends are much better. The ELT center is the nicest piece of the system, I still prefer the CMT-340. The ELT sub is the weakest piece and does not compare to any Hsu sub I have ever heard.

Here is the latest review for the CBM-170 and not linked on Ascend's site yet: http://www.goodsound.com/equipment/ascend_cbm170.htm

Just to rebut Randy a bit on professional reviews of Rocket speakers, I think there are actually two...but none on the RS150 or ELT.

Randy...did you compare the CBM-170 and RS150 side by side? Did you post your thoughts anywhere?

-curtis

BruceN
12-09-2003, 07:30 PM
I ordered the Ascend's yesterday (4 CBM-170's and 1 CMT-340 and two wall brackets). I should be receiving a few days before Christmas as there is a 4-5 day back-log. It was a close call between the ELT's and the Ascend's but I found much more written about the Ascend's and virtually all of it was positive. I actually really wanted to buy the ELT's as they look great but I couldn't ignore what Ascend owners had to say about their speakers. Thanks for the information and Merry Christmas!
Bruce Nelson

curtis
12-09-2003, 11:53 PM
Bruce,

I think you will be very pleased. If you ever get a chance to hear the ELTs, definitely do so...in fact, if after this holiday season you have some leftover headroom on a credit card, get a pair and compare them.....leave all doubt behind....especially within the 30 day window. In fact...ACI may be offering free shipping on ELTs.

-curtis

Gregisme
12-10-2003, 01:48 AM
Ha. I was just checking out their (ACI) website last night, for the first time.

They are indeed featuring free shipping through Dec 31st.

curtis
12-10-2003, 02:04 AM
ACI makes some good stuff. I have their Sapphire on demo loan. It is very nice. Their president, Mike Dzurko is a very nice guy. I think the decision for them to sell the ELT, un-modified, is very interesting. The nice thing though is for the same price, you get a better warranty from ACI.

When I bought a pair of ELT mains, AV123 charged me $26 for shipping. It cost me $9 to ship back.

-curtis