PDA

View Full Version : 340m wall mounting

jbarstow
01-16-2006, 07:30 AM
I am planning for my 340 L/R installation and would like to wall mount them. I'm thinking of this bracket which is similar to the TV mount recommended for the 340c. Pic attached.
http://www.bracketsandstands.com/brackets6.htm

I need to angle into the room from the corners a good 40 degrees and downward at least the 7 degrees offered by this bracket. I figure this has already been solved here. Do you have a good solution?

Thanks,
-Jon

bikeman
01-16-2006, 08:52 AM
Have you talked to Ascend about this?

David

jbarstow
01-16-2006, 09:43 AM
Have you talked to Ascend about this?

No not really. When I ordered, James said no flush mounting due to the air port. I was originally thinking of building a shelf with space behind.

jbarstow
01-26-2006, 07:18 AM
I got the brackets and speakers on the same day. :)

You can see more detail here:
http://home.comcast.net/~jonbarstow/bracket3.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~jonbarstow/bracket2.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~jonbarstow/bracket1.jpg (unfortunately blurred)

-Jon

Charles D
01-26-2006, 10:53 AM
I am thinking of possibly doing the same thing. couple questions

Is this for HT or just 2ch ?
are you running them as large , or small ?
crossover point ?

are those the same as these , they look pretty much the same

http://www.pinpoint-mktg.com/bt77.html

and the main thing is how do they sound ? do you notice any problems with the ports being that close to the wall ?

thanks for posting pics I've been curious as to what the 340's would look like mounted on these :)

jbarstow
01-26-2006, 11:47 AM
This will be used mostly for music, plus some HT for good measure. I think I left the crossover at 60, but still experimenting. They seem to work well with this amount of space behind and into the corner, although I didn't compare very long. I plan to experiment with siding the speaker forward and away from the wall a bit to see if it makes any diff.

They are the same as the ones you found. Made by B-Tech from the UK. The 340 is tall and heavy and you'll need to screw the bracket to the speaker and not just use the friction pad.

Charles D
01-26-2006, 01:44 PM
at the height i will be putting mine ( If i go this route ) would be with the tweeter pretty close to ear level. so there would be no downward tilt.

do you still think it would need screwed on ? I hate to be putting scews in speakers like that , Maybe a person could use a couple pieces of the 3m double sided tape on the bottom between the speaker and the mount ,gray stuff like from a auto parts store. that stuff sticks like crazy.

just had a thought ,, don't the 340s have one factory 1/4 x 20 hole in the lower back ? ( for mounting to the available floor stands )
I bet a person could come up with or make a little bracket that would go from that to the bases of these brackets... that might be the ticket , no screw holes and no tape residue to remove later. but would still add stability to the situation.

Lou-the-dog
01-26-2006, 04:51 PM
at the height i will be putting mine ( If i go this route ) would be with the tweeter pretty close to ear level. so there would be no downward tilt.

do you still think it would need screwed on ? I hate to be putting scews in speakers like that , Maybe a person could use a couple pieces of the 3m double sided tape on the bottom between the speaker and the mount ,gray stuff like from a auto parts store. that stuff sticks like crazy.

just had a thought ,, don't the 340s have one factory 1/4 x 20 hole in the lower back ? ( for mounting to the available floor stands )
I bet a person could come up with or make a little bracket that would go from that to the bases of these brackets... that might be the ticket , no screw holes and no tape residue to remove later. but would still add stability to the situation.

I think Charles D has the answer. A strap fabricated to attach to the factory hole would be ideal. No need for screw holes thru the side of the speaker. Those BT mounts look great.

Randy

curtis
01-26-2006, 04:58 PM
Wasn't there some guy that hung his Ascends from the ceiling with some kind of special cable setup?

Lou-the-dog
01-26-2006, 05:25 PM
Wasn't there some guy that hung his Ascends from the ceiling with some kind of special cable setup?

Yup. I'm thinking there was a post with pictures here and maybe also at AVS Forum. He used some sort of thin "invisible" wire to accomplish the task. From the pics it looked pretty good. Another option.

Randy

jbarstow
01-27-2006, 05:55 AM
The 1/4x20 insert would work. Maybe a bit of threaded rod, adjustable coupler and a flange. I would NOT use sticky tape or the "super-grip" pads alone. If you center the weight on the bracket and it's level, the speaker will sit there. It's just top-heavy and anything less than solid attachment would make me very nervous.

Also, probably obvious but stud-mounting is required. Don't even think about using the drywall anchors from the kit. :eek:

Charles D
01-27-2006, 08:05 AM
I guess you have not experienced the full power of the sticky tape :)

but i agree I'd rather have a solid attachment of some sort. also not have to mess with ever haveing to remove it after it was used (the double sided tape that is).

I can't believe they would even send drywall anchors with something like that ! :eek: I pitty the poor person that actually uses them.

so yea i deff agree use a stud or the like, with my room i built in backing in the wall for just such purposes (when i built the house).